Maine

It's hard to get excited about snow at this point, even with the day off!

I'm pretty sure I have a hen with sour crop. She was drinking a ton of water, and then threw up a ton of water. I got her to eat a tiny bit of yogurt and bread with olive oil. I have never seen sour crop before, but after doing some reading, I plan to pick up some monistat and try that. I'm working into the evening the next 2 nights, so hopefully she'll be okay until I can treat her. Of course, it is one of the lavenders....
Is her crop staying full? Do they recommend trying to massage the crop to empty it? So sorry, I wish you the best of luck. It's a pain when daily responsibilities get in the way of life, isn't it???

Is he preparing them for life in a CHICKEN TRACTOR???
Good thought! That will be their next "housing" when it warms up and we get some green grass.
cool.png
Can you post some pics of your little Doms?

It's hard to get excited about snow at this point, even with the day off!

I'm pretty sure I have a hen with sour crop. She was drinking a ton of water, and then threw up a ton of water. I got her to eat a tiny bit of yogurt and bread with olive oil. I have never seen sour crop before, but after doing some reading, I plan to pick up some monistat and try that. I'm working into the evening the next 2 nights, so hopefully she'll be okay until I can treat her. Of course, it is one of the lavenders....
So sorry to hear that I hope she gets better soon. Good luck let us know how she does.

My son named this chick "Fuzzy Feet," and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this characteristic on an Araucana, before. I purchased it as an Araucana, but could this mean it has some other breed mixed in? It's the loudest chick, too. I don't mind if it isn't a full-blooded Araucana (and from what I've read on this forum the Aubuchon chicks usually aren't true Araucanas) but was just curious.
hu.gif

This looks like a brahma from what I can see. Maybe the chick got in the wrong bin? Can we get a picture of the body and face?

Should be clearish on one and very dark on the other.

One went so far that one whole side was very dark and the other was like a pool, good sign.
What I look for is stark difference between the sides and a growing air sac. The sac will usually shrink with a bad egg.
If your lucky when its getting close you'll see some veins right at the air sac border.

Hope that helps, but I couldnt get the pictures to come out right.
I didnt think a blob would be helpful to anyone, but maybe it would have.
YES this does help. I was just staying that I wasn't able to see veins but I do see a dark "blob" at one end and not the other. Phew. I do have a dark room I go in (closet) and a mag light for source. The eggs were primarily light though I just HAD to try the Ams and Marans of course. No luck at all. lol
When you order from a hatchery there is not much of a difference. They will sell you production reds and call them "Rhode island Reds" There is a BIG difference in the old type RIR! Compare my avatar picture to your Production red rooster and you will see some of the differences
X2 Your bird has the right coloring for a potential hatchery red or possibly a NH but that posture is WRONG. That is a very Gamey stature so I would guess that you have a mutt either way. (Games and your bird are very upright, while the true RIR looks just like Chickmagnet's avatar-horizontal- and DARK) Still does his job though, right?

My son named this chick "Fuzzy Feet," and I'm wondering if anyone has seen this characteristic on an Araucana, before. I purchased it as an Araucana, but could this mean it has some other breed mixed in? It's the loudest chick, too. I don't mind if it isn't a full-blooded Araucana (and from what I've read on this forum the Aubuchon chicks usually aren't true Araucanas) but was just curious.
hu.gif
Araucana are the rumpless bird from So America so if you bought them from a breeder they would not have feathered feet unless that breeder had crossed them with something like Marans or Favs etc. Now, if you bought it from a feed store or hatchery it is not an Araucana at all. There's a lot more to learn about this on the EE thread. They make nice birds and most people really love them.

Bucka... yogurt, plain, might help.

And...

CONGRADULATIONS JOANIEMAINE!!! I heard from a little bird ...
clap.gif

I have a couple easter eggers I might be bringing to the augusta swap on the 30th, as well as a bunch more laying hens, and rabbits. If you are going and you have something in mind that you would like me to bring, please let me know, I may not have enough room to bring everything, so I want to bring what will have the most interest. I have:
• White Rock Laying Hens
• Golden Comet Laying Hens
• Golden Lace Wyandotte Laying Hens
• Easter Egger Laying Hens
• Possibly a Partridge Rock Laying Hen
• Rhode Island Red Laying Hens
• Barred Rock Laying Hens + Roosters
• New Zealand Meat Rabbit
• Young Flemish Giant Rabbits
• Holland Lop Rabbits
• Lionhead Rabbits
• Other black mix rabbits
• Old English Pair of bantams.

All are in good health, please P.M me or email me at [email protected], if you are going, and would like me to bring something specific.

Lazy gardener, yes, I have been massaging her crop. And I'm trying yogurt, ashandvine, although she would only eat a tiny bit. Tonight I plan to give her more yogurt using an eye dropper. All my syringes seem to be busted. Tomorrow I hope to pick up monistat and maybe some buttermilk.

Meanwhile, she suddenly started making a loud fuss in her cage. I set up a temporary nest box with some shavings and she went right in! Not sure if she is really planning to lay an egg, or if she was so happy to be out of the cage and on some shavings, but there she sits.

Starting some hot peppers and eggplant today, despite the weather.

How can I convince hubby to build me an incubator? All these baby chicks are tearing at my heart strings!!
Why not build your own ;-) its just some wood planks screwed together staple a chicken screen to the front and viola! its pretty easy peasy... now getting hubbys permission... thats not something I can help you out with it took me long enough to get mine on board ;-)

Back
Top Bottom