Maine

Chickens are settling into my yard plan quite nicely. I honestly don't know how I did any gardening before I got them! Their coop is within 2 paces of my garden. Every green thing I've cleaned up from my yard gets thrown into their run area for them to work over. Same with lawn clippings. I expect that by the time summer is over, I'll have about a foot of rich compost to put on the garden, then will start the process all over again for the winter months. Coop is habitable, but still needs some work. The chickens are extremely laid back about having noisy power tools invading their space... in fact, I have to be careful because several of them are in danger of getting their beaks nicked by the drill because they are so interested in what I'm doing. Today, I got their ramp and an other perch installed. Hubby installed a "porch" connecting their pop-door to their ramp. I caught my husband hand delivering a dandelion loaded with ants... and talking to them... this from the guy who DOES NOT want anything to do with chickens, and only tolerates them because he is such a tolerant guy.

Any one have recommendations re: getting rid of a yellow jacket nest in my bales of mulch hay without destroying the usefulness of the hay?? I'm chipping away at the pile, trying to locate the nest. Of course it would be where I need to plant my peas. Got the regular ones in, still need to do sugar snaps.

Also, never having had roosters before, I'm not sure what to expect. I have 3 big roosters, and at least 1 if not all 3 of my Doms are roos. Not sure about the 3 "araucanas". For the most part, they all get along, no blood shed yet. How long can I expect to leave them all together before things get nasty? They are crowing. The roosters don't share their goodies with the girls... as a matter of fact, they are bullies when it comes to treats. I've not seen any indication that any of them would rise to the occasion to defend the flock. Can I expect to keep them all together until they get to 4 - 5 months before I eat them??? Do those of you who raise roosters for meat keep them with your hens, or do you keep them in a separate grow out pen. Is there less fighting if the roosters are segregated?
So, how old are your "crowing" roosters? I'm trying to figure out the difference in ages between our chickens. It seems like I got mine a couple weeks after you and I think I heard my Dark Brahma cockerel make a funny-sounding noise, today. He is SO FUNNY to watch, because he does try to protect his girls! They don't really want the "protecting," though. Took on our Springer Spaniel "bird dog," today. (She's not much of a bird dog-only crows and robins on the back lawn). He pecked her right on the nose-SO FUNNY! She didn't know what to think of that!! She still didn't run away, though.

So, how old are your "crowing" roosters? I'm trying to figure out the difference in ages between our chickens. It seems like I got mine a couple weeks after you and I think I heard my Dark Brahma cockerel make a funny-sounding noise, today. He is SO FUNNY to watch, because he does try to protect his girls! They don't really want the "protecting," though. Took on our Springer Spaniel "bird dog," today. (She's not much of a bird dog-only crows and robins on the back lawn). He pecked her right on the nose-SO FUNNY! She didn't know what to think of that!! She still didn't run away, though.
My Dom was hatched around March 3, and the RIR, BSLs were hatched Feb 21. They both started crowing the same day, about 1 - 2 weeks ago. My cats still think chickens are prey, especially the smaller cat. He's ok to just watch them until they get running and flapping their wings, then he gives chase which makes them run and flap all the more, then I get to running and flapping and screaming. So, when they are out, I try to keep him in, or watch him very closely and prepare to intervene. Well, the other day, I decided that it was time for him to learn a lesson. So I caught him... no small feat to catch that one when he doesn't want to be caught. Then I tossed him in with the lot of them... 11 chickens and one disgruntled cat in an 8 x 8 enclosure. First, he was upset... then one of the flighty "araucanas" started running and flapping, and the chase was on. Meanwhile, I'm standing there with my pink butterfly net to intervene if needed. The roosters just stood by and watched. The cat finally settled down to watch the show, and the most any of the roosters did was sneak up behind him and do the "inquisitive beak" touch to the cat's tail. Perhaps you could bring your rooster over to teach my guys what a gentleman is supposed to do for the ladies.

So discouraged with chickens right now. The breeds that I really want to work with seem to be the ones the predator is after. Needless to say, they are staying in their pen. I think it may be a hawk or some other bird of prey because it seems to only take my chicks. Nothing has gotten the big ones in a few weeks. Hopefully this hatch will do well.

So, how old are your "crowing" roosters?  I'm trying to figure out the difference in ages between our chickens.  It seems like I got mine a couple weeks after you and I think I heard my Dark Brahma cockerel make a funny-sounding noise, today.  He is SO FUNNY to watch, because he does try to protect his girls!  They don't really want the "protecting," though.  Took on our Springer Spaniel "bird dog," today.  (She's not much of a bird dog-only crows and robins on the back lawn).  He pecked her right on the nose-SO FUNNY!  She didn't know what to think of that!!  She still didn't run away, though.

My Springer likes to run at my chickens, but if they don't run, she gets scared and backs away from them.

So discouraged with chickens right now. The breeds that I really want to work with seem to be the ones the predator is after. Needless to say, they are staying in their pen. I think it may be a hawk or some other bird of prey because it seems to only take my chicks. Nothing has gotten the big ones in a few weeks. Hopefully this hatch will do well.
So sorry you're having predator issues. How are your Doms doing?? Have you lost a bunch of them?? Are you hatching more Doms? or What?? I absolutely love the demeanor of my Doms. They are not as friendly as my RIR and BSL, (probably because I hatched those) but they are the BEST foragers, and don't seem to have aggressive tendencies, not as flighty as the "araucanas".

how are you so sure the 9 week old silkies are boys?
I just realized they are actually 10 weeks old. I'm making a guess. Their crests look spiky instead of rounded and their tail feathers look as though they have streamers.

Chickens are settling into my yard plan quite nicely. I honestly don't know how I did any gardening before I got them!

I caught my husband hand delivering a dandelion loaded with ants... and talking to them... this from the guy who DOES NOT want anything to do with chickens, and only tolerates them because he is such a tolerant guy.

My sister said the same thing about her garden today. The hens have tilled it up so much she just needs to fork over the dirt a little bit to plant.

big_smile.png
LOL on DH! Mine does the same thing. Caught him sitting in the pen with the 10 week old chicks throwing them a little scratch. I told him I couldn't wait for him to mow the lawn so I could throw the clippings into the pen. He went out to the garage, put the mower deck on and mowed everything.
love.gif

My BR roo hatched on Feb. 3rd started crowing last week. He sounds like a kazoo.
big_smile.png

I many times have lots of roosters together. as long as there are no hens, in the same pen, they get along for the most part well. occasionally they decide they might not like one particular rooster and i end up moving that one. this winter i had 7 living together without issues. right now I have 3 in the hens and I am having problems with one getting bullied. i need to decide what I want to do as I really have no use for 3 roosters in that pen but I hate to get rid of one because as soon as i do, my dog with take one that I do need.
seen that way too many times.

x2. I raised them before in the regular chicken coop but it caused a lot of distress among my hens. After I watched a gang of roosters hold down my meekest hen and *ahem* take turns practicing on her... we built them their own tractor. I'd like them to get more exercise than the tractor gives, but it is what it is. The tractor is still pretty big, 10x10.
They start having enough meat on them around 5 months if they're regular birds and not meaties.

Can you string up fishing line over the run? I do that in the fall. All haphazard and cats-cradle like. The line shines and slows the hawks down a bit, so mine can run for safety cover. My coop is elevated so they have plenty of safety cover. Sometimes I come home to a line snapped but everyone is safe.

Lazy gardener, I agree that things will go more smoothly with a bachelor pen. Sometimes, there is still a rooster who bullies the others, but I have never had blood drawn, as long as there are no hens in there. I try to separate mine at 10 - 12 weeks or so. You will know when it is time, because they will start harassing the girls.

If your roosters are young, don't worry about them sharing treats or defending the hens. That will come later. Think of them as teenagers.

I have had a little luck with two roosters sharing a flock, but my head roo is constantly on the other one. He has no tail feathers left, and while their fights have not been terribly serious, they get bloodied occasionally. They were in fairly confined quarters this winter, which I'm sure didn't help. I'm going to replace these guys with just ONE rooster this fall.

Back
Top Bottom