Maine

What a bummer! That man didn't have any?
hu.gif
I KNOW!!!! i am still trying, but no luck. he is the one that told me to look on the bangor chicken swap. but still no luck. ugh!!!

you might want to go to the poultry show May 26th (sunday) at the windsor fairgrounds. there may be some there or the augusta swap generally have a large amount of poultry on may 25 (saturday)
thanks, but i was hoping to find someone closer. doesn't look good though.

Speaking of Buff Orpington chicks, I'm a little worried about one of mine. I first noticed her sneezing fairly often, but then, read that they can do that simply because of their shavings and it's nothing really to worry about. But now, I'm noticing that she sounds "crackly" when she breathes and I hear that quite often. Other than this respiratory sound, she seems perfectly normal-eating, drinking, active. I hope it's nothing bad.
sad.png

Don't know if it is applying in Maine, but apparently in NJ they are having their worst pollen in written history, tons of folks lining up at ERs for respiratory problems. Know our car is coated pretty well in the mornings, been so dry. Could be your Buff's problem, maybe she has asthma! Can you give a hen a little misting treatment or would it give them more issues?

Shame about the NH birds. What is wrong with people, are they really that selfish that they would try to sell sick birds? Would never in a gazillion years take any bird anywhere if even one was showing signs of illness.

Sorry about your goat. What DID happen? We have a guy here locally who raises and breeds Nubians and you cannot go to visit his goats unless you put on booties and wash your hands prior. Although he is totally free range with his birds, he is meticulous with possible diseases and infections, and certainly respect him for that. He raises some absolutely gorgeous animals and accordingly gets top dollar for them, as he should. He is always at the Unity Fair, among others.

Bad experience with duckling hatch. 2 beautiful Pekins burst out happy and healthy. Were in the box next to the wood stove that night after drying out. While moving them, the last egg that had that night to go yet before hatch rolled out and crashed to the floor. Blood. Pushed it back together and back into the bator. Sure it would not survive, but was alive at the time. Overnight my cat decided the 2 ducklings in the box altho covered with a screen, were playthings and found them dead, laid out perfectly, not mauled, in front of the woodstove. He has never done this before, ever. What is it with our bad dogs and cats these days.

Meantime, the damaged egg hatched out, her yolk was still attached to her belly, just let her be in the bator with plenty of moisture figuring she would never survive. Here she is at my side in a box with the space heater and being an absolute brat, she has already bonded to me and wants attention all the time. Eating and drinking like crazy and trying to jump out of the box to get to me. Will keep her real close and that cat knows he's in deep doo-doo and won't come near, but now the dogs are super curious atho have introduced them and assured them it's not a big deal. Gave her a rubber ducky which seemed to calm her a bit, but she just wants me. Poor thing, she's all alone and don't want to imprint her so much she will only want me, but she just looks at me with that sideward glance like they do, so know I am doomed. She is one lucky bird to have survived, so guess I owe it to her. Stupid me to have let that egg roll out, but amazingly, she made it. Healthy so far and eating and drinking like a pig in disguise!

Sorry about the loss you have had with your chickens, certainly sounds like a fox feeding its kits, maybe they have grown enough and moved on, but wouldn't count on it. Why would they? Free meals and all. Would def maybe ask around, maybe someone will rent you a game cam or even offer to take care of the problem for you. A nuisance animal is fair game after all, and sure the game warden would side with you if need be. Live traps, probably not, they're too smart. But sure sounds like fox to me, and if it has taught its young, they'll be back. My heart goes out to you, went thru this too and hated to do the head count each night, always one short. You've either got to keep them penned up for a week or so or take care of the varmint.

People knowingly selling sick birds is quite disgusting. Poor things :(

I really wish I could come to the show on Sunday. I always miss the good stuff having to work! Hoppy, What time does the show run?

I am sorry for everyones animal losses. Gosh this spring seems like a hard one for many. I am thanking the powers that be that all my chicks and girls are fine *knock on wood*.

the show is may 26th (next sunday) runs from 9-3?,maybe a bit later. our live auction starts at 1:00, raffles run all day and sales will be going from the time vendors set up to sell out.

People knowingly selling sick birds is quite disgusting. Poor things :(

I really wish I could come to the show on Sunday. I always miss the good stuff having to work! Hoppy, What time does the show run?

I am sorry for everyones animal losses. Gosh this spring seems like a hard one for many. I am thanking the powers that be that all my chicks and girls are fine *knock on wood*.

FREE ROOSTERS--I have 4. 2 are crowing. I would love to be able to keep 2 but the neighbors have started to talk.
sad.png

1 Paint Silkie Rooster--1 year old. Very good provider to hens & chicks, good protector of his chicks.
2 White Silkie Roosters--10 weeks old.
1 Barred Rock--3 months old--I do have someone coming to look at him this week.

Last edited:
how are you so sure the 9 week old silkies are boys?
FREE ROOSTERS--I have 4. 2 are crowing. I would love to be able to keep 2 but the neighbors have started to talk.
sad.png

1 Paint Silkie Rooster--1 year old. Very good provider to hens & chicks, good protector of his chicks.
2 White Silkie Roosters--9 weeks old.
1 Barred Rock--3 months old--I do have someone coming to look at him this week.

Chickens are settling into my yard plan quite nicely. I honestly don't know how I did any gardening before I got them! Their coop is within 2 paces of my garden. Every green thing I've cleaned up from my yard gets thrown into their run area for them to work over. Same with lawn clippings. I expect that by the time summer is over, I'll have about a foot of rich compost to put on the garden, then will start the process all over again for the winter months. Coop is habitable, but still needs some work. The chickens are extremely laid back about having noisy power tools invading their space... in fact, I have to be careful because several of them are in danger of getting their beaks nicked by the drill because they are so interested in what I'm doing. Today, I got their ramp and an other perch installed. Hubby installed a "porch" connecting their pop-door to their ramp. I caught my husband hand delivering a dandelion loaded with ants... and talking to them... this from the guy who DOES NOT want anything to do with chickens, and only tolerates them because he is such a tolerant guy.

Any one have recommendations re: getting rid of a yellow jacket nest in my bales of mulch hay without destroying the usefulness of the hay?? I'm chipping away at the pile, trying to locate the nest. Of course it would be where I need to plant my peas. Got the regular ones in, still need to do sugar snaps.

Also, never having had roosters before, I'm not sure what to expect. I have 3 big roosters, and at least 1 if not all 3 of my Doms are roos. Not sure about the 3 "araucanas". For the most part, they all get along, no blood shed yet. How long can I expect to leave them all together before things get nasty? They are crowing. The roosters don't share their goodies with the girls... as a matter of fact, they are bullies when it comes to treats. I've not seen any indication that any of them would rise to the occasion to defend the flock. Can I expect to keep them all together until they get to 4 - 5 months before I eat them??? Do those of you who raise roosters for meat keep them with your hens, or do you keep them in a separate grow out pen. Is there less fighting if the roosters are segregated?

I many times have lots of roosters together. as long as there are no hens, in the same pen, they get along for the most part well. occasionally they decide they might not like one particular rooster and i end up moving that one. this winter i had 7 living together without issues. right now I have 3 in the hens and I am having problems with one getting bullied. i need to decide what I want to do as I really have no use for 3 roosters in that pen but I hate to get rid of one because as soon as i do, my dog with take one that I do need.
seen that way too many times.

Can I expect to keep them all together until they get to 4 - 5 months before I eat them??? Do those of you who raise roosters for meat keep them with your hens, or do you keep them in a separate grow out pen. Is there less fighting if the roosters are segregated?

Back
Top Bottom