Maine

I came home to find DH got his long hair cut and scattered hair throughout the flint corn looking to scare off the skunks.
tongue.png
. Somewhere, we have a bottle of fox urine....

Now that's love.

lau.gif

Hatched 4 silkie chicks from my broody today! was very surprised they all hatched because most had been in the fridge before she decided to go broody. My daughter witnessed 2 hatching and was so happy. But, on a non chicken related note, anyone know of any dwarf bunnies for sale in the Oxford Hills area? When my daughter went to bed, she found that her hamster had died. We would like to surprise her with a bunny.

Hatched 4 silkie chicks from my broody today! was very surprised they all hatched because most had been in the fridge before she decided to go broody. My daughter witnessed 2 hatching and was so happy. But, on a non chicken related note, anyone know of any dwarf bunnies for sale in the Oxford Hills area? When my daughter went to bed, she found that her hamster had died. We would like to surprise her with a bunny.

I would check the shelters. I know both the one in Westbrook and Kennebunk are usually overrun with rabbits. Best of all they already come spayed or neutered. Rabbits are not always the easiest pet, one of the reasons why shelters get so many, but if you know what you are getting into they can be great.

Yeah about the chicks! Sorry for your loss in regards to the hamster. I saw a post on the Oxford Swap page on FB maybe a few weeks back regarding dwarf bunnies. If you can't find the post, I'd swing by that swap or one of the others nearby. I almost always see bunnies at them.

Kelly congrats on the chick! I cant wait till I can have a broody hatch a few. Next spring....

All of a sudden I have zillions of tomatoes. I am so happy the deer are not molesting them anymore! I also picked about 30 lbs of apples from my trees. They were here when we bought the place but last year there were not many apples at all...this year..wow tons! Apple butter is on my to do list for today. So is researching how to make my own cider press
droolin.gif

Congrats on the chicks, all!

My husband and I saw a mink boldly slink across our yard this morning. They may be the predator I most fear - day and night hunters and ruthless. It was kind of a reality check... I know logically all of these animals are in the woods, but never having seen them, there was a false sense of security.

Any mink-specific advice?

Congrats on the chicks, all!

My husband and I saw a mink boldly slink across our yard this morning. They may be the predator I most fear - day and night hunters and ruthless. It was kind of a reality check... I know logically all of these animals are in the woods, but never having seen them, there was a false sense of security.

Any mink-specific advice?

Do you know any trappers? Could you set a live trap?

Do you know any trappers? Could you set a live trap?

I don't know any trappers, but a live trap may be an option. Before having chickens I was very much of the live and let live mentality, but seeing that creature head towards the coop this morning gave me a change of heart!

Quote: Are you sure what you saw was a mink and not a weasel? They are related but Mink tend to be more aquatic. We found that weasels are very crafty and mostly strike after dusk when the birds are less alert. You should make sure your coop has no holes larger than 1/2 inch. and even those can be a problem if the critter gnaws into the wood making the hole bigger.
We had a weasel problem but buttoned up our coop using 1/2 hardware cloth around the bottom of the wooden structure so that no critter will gnaw its way in.

Is anyone interested in a completely naked neck showgirl rooster?
He's not exactly attractive, per se, but if you have a silkie hen and are looking to make showgirls...
This wouldn't happen to be THRILLER would it??? If it is I vote no giving him away. He has become the mascot and joke for all NN, showgirl and ugly rooster/halloween jokes to ever be had in the this thread by me and anyone to every see his... less than attractive self. Any more pictures of the tomato slurper? And how is the situation with those aggressive bees?
I hope the pickles and the beets came out ok!! Let me know!! Ugh..speaking of corn- I had about 5 good ears, and thought most of it was not ready...well, when we came back from camping, most of it had gone by..all starchy. Good chicken treat I suppose...
I have this great set of new recipes so they are going to be good. Now, the dilled ones migt be soggy because I didn't have real pickling cukes but the kids don't care and its for them. You could also use those corn ears for shine or seed.
I came home to find DH got his long hair cut and scattered hair throughout the flint corn looking to scare off the skunks.
tongue.png
. Somewhere, we have a bottle of fox urine....
That is one bottle I could never misplace and would be terrified to spill. I have a son. No fox urine needed.

Regarding weasels, minks etc... you must make sure that any hole the size of a nickel up is closed. Caulking, wire, hardware, cement whatever it takes. They are so small they can fit through amazingly small crevices.

FTR: Sultans have to be THE cutest chicken ever. I am swooning and am not really much of a swooner.

Back
Top Bottom