Maine

Thanks Widget. I'm now thinking that getting guineas might not be such a great idea. I still think that a rent a bird program would be a fantastic idea. I'd put guineas and ducks at the top of the list... Of course I'm just joking here, but I sure could use the extra pest control at certain times of the year.

My male cat, 3 y.o. all of a sudden is drooling copiously. He's leaving a big puddle where ever he happens to be. I'm wondering if he got into something, or if he has a lesion in his mouth. (something causing some irritation) I may be headed to the vet with him tomorrow. Any one out there ever dealt with these symptoms in a cat?

Just added these 7mo BO pair to our small flock! Captain Charlie and Miss Emma. They are so sweet!!!!
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png

Thanks Widget. I'm now thinking that getting guineas might not be such a great idea. I still think that a rent a bird program would be a fantastic idea. I'd put guineas and ducks at the top of the list... Of course I'm just joking here, but I sure could use the extra pest control at certain times of the year.

My male cat, 3 y.o. all of a sudden is drooling copiously. He's leaving a big puddle where ever he happens to be. I'm wondering if he got into something, or if he has a lesion in his mouth. (something causing some irritation) I may be headed to the vet with him tomorrow. Any one out there ever dealt with these symptoms in a cat?
He could have an abscess in his mouth, teeth issues or got into something he should not have such as a poisonous plant or a frog. I know not much help but there are so many reasons for drooling. Hard to say without seeing the cat.

I know... without the vet bill, I won't know what's going on. The worry wart in me wants to rush him to the emergency vet, but he's acting fine other than the drooling, so, I'll wait until tomorrow. Having sick animals is almost worse than having sick kids b/c the animals can't tell you what's wrong.

I am in Southern Maine, and don't have birds yet. I have recently become more interested in my Swedish heritage and brought home a puppy at the end of my visit to Sweden this Spring. I am interested in the breeds that Greenfire Farms imported from Sweden. The Fifty-five Flowery hens will be released in the Fall of 2014. If I can afford them, I am interested, otherwise the Swedish Flower Hens are my choice.

I still waver on keeping birds knowing that I add another layer of responsibility. I want to use my boat more. :)

I do have bee hives, 3 of them. There was a skunk interested in the bees the other night. He ran away Saturday when I started up the tractor near his hiding place in the shed.

One of my neighbors got a picture of a bobcat/lynx on his game cam last fall.

Last edited:
I know... without the vet bill, I won't know what's going on. The worry wart in me wants to rush him to the emergency vet, but he's acting fine other than the drooling, so, I'll wait until tomorrow. Having sick animals is almost worse than having sick kids b/c the animals can't tell you what's wrong.
I agree w/all the things Widget said. I hate that they can't tell us what's wrong. If he'll let you look in his mouth, you might be able to see an absess, object, broken tooth,etc. This is probably a 2 person job! Is he having any trouble eating or drinking? We have always had cats. My last 2 lived to be 21--totally indoor cats after our male didn't come home one night and when he did he had another cat's claw stuck in his ear. One of our old cats used to drool while he was being pet...just purring away.
smile.png

I am in Southern Maine, and don't have birds yet. I have recently become more interested in my Swedish heritage and brought home a puppy at the end of my visit to Sweden this Spring. I am interested in the breeds that Greenfire Farms imported from Sweden. The Fifty-five Flowery hens will be released in the Fall of 2014. If I can afford them, I am interested, otherwise the Swedish Flower Hens are my choice.

I still waver on keeping birds knowing that I add another layer of responsibility. I want to use my boat more. :)

I do have bee hives, 3 of them. There was a skunk interested in the bees the other night. He ran away Saturday when I started up the tractor near his hiding place in the shed.

One of my neighbors got a picture of a bobcat/lynx on his game cam last fall.
welcome-byc.gif
striperon! SFH's are beautiful birds! I'd love to have some myself.

Found some type of animal poop right behind the coop yesterday morning. I'm thinking either fox or coyote. Oh yaaayy!
he.gif

Just added these 7mo BO pair to our small flock! Captain Charlie and Miss Emma. They are so sweet!!!!
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png

Beautiful buffs!! I have 10 of them, 1 rooster and 9 hens! Started out with 12 birds but had 2 roosters so I gave a rooster and a hen to one of my day care kids cause he loved them and wanted to add them to his chickens he already had. Mine are only 3months old! They are all very sweet !!

I have a friend who needs to rehome her 12 golden comets. They are 18 months old, healthy and still laying regularly. Financial issues are causing her to sell her farm. She would prefer that they stay together. If anyone is interested please PM me.

You're killing me here. A month ago I would have taken them all at once. I don't think I've got room enough now, with my 17. Hope she finds a home, I was desperately trying to find comets! I doubt she will have any issues homing these beauts.

If they're anything like dogs, the drooling can be a side affect of nausea. Could be onset by anything, but most often times it's eating something that's "not for puppies". Has it gone on more than 48 hours? If so, I'd probably seek advice from a vet.

Found some type of animal poop right behind the coop yesterday morning. I'm thinking either fox or coyote. Oh yaaayy!
he.gif

Weird as it may sound, you should inspect the scat. If it's full of hair (or looks...pretty hairy) it's most likely a fox. It wouldn't be too much larger than a barn cat's droppings either. Lots of times a fox will mark territory like this so it will seem like an oddly placed deposit, but to them it's territory. Stumps, clearings, rocks, dirtpiles, anything of the sorts.

Coyote droppings look much more like a typical pile a dog would leave behind, albeit smaller.

Makes sense, right? A little crude, but it's how the predators work.

Back
Top Bottom