Maine

Given the avatar you have I think I am going to nominate you as possible instructor and us chicken folks can use the neighbor's range and pay you in copious amounts of eggs! ba ha ha ha Congrats on those chicks.

lau.gif
What is the funniest part is ITS TRUE!

I'm not a certified instructor, and couldn't offer advice that would be "official". That being said, I've been trained a good amount, and would always share what I know. I enjoy hunting, shooting, survival skills, etc. Like I said, I'd be happy to offer advice to anyone who wants it--or just to exchange knowledge with another fellow enthusiast.

Last edited:
Coopchick, I'll hold back on giving you a semi-fitting pseudonym for now...

It looks at first glance like fox droppings (both ends pointed) but the size is a bit tough to tell--and there appears to be foraged items in there so it could be a fox or coyote. Typically they are pretty close in comparison, but the coyote usually is larger. I think the placement itself leans toward the culprit being fox, if that helps any.

Cheers,
Jazor

It would be a hike from Limington, but Fox Firearms (in Vassalboro) offers many different courses--and they are really flexible. I would imagine if you rounded up a couple people, they'd offer a shotgun course.

I admire your patience--and willingness to train before grabbing a gun off the shelf. That's a smart move, not enough people do it. Honestly, you could "learn" plenty from research and watching training videos online (for free) but you need to spend time shooting to become truly accustomed. I would highly recommend you spend that time with an instructor, or at least someone with vast experience of shooting, shotgunning, and weapon maintenance as well. Having the gun, shooting the gun, and caring for it are all pieces to the puzzle.

Cheers,
Jazor

Have you done any courses at Fox? I didn't do a "newbie" course (even though he billed it as appropriate for someone who has never touched a firearm before) there but I didn't find his CCW/handgun safety course to be all that enlightening, in my opinion, for a newbie. I do like him and his shop very much, though, and I certainly won't criticize him here. I know others who have taken the CCW classes at Paradis Outfitters in Sidney that said it was enlightening (but long) and very suitable for newbies. There is also an instructor that I know through work (ex military instructor and a great guy) that does small group classes but I do not know anyone who has done his class, yet, for feedback. I am currently looking for a reloading class. Fox lists that class on his website, but hasn't held a class on the subject recently.

@ SCG

I've been fortunate to have all of my courses considered to be training, so I didn't pay for them. None through Fox Firearms. Nearly all CCW courses are, in a word, terrible. They are great for someone who needs a crash course in gun safety, concealed carry laws, and "what to not do" style things...much like driver's ed we take as 15 year olds. It's not going to take you from a "newbie" to a novice.

As you've said, friends who took long and drawn out courses may have felt as though they learned more. It's tough so say, seeing as how subjective it is. One person may know "it all" but just need the course as a formality to apply for a CCP, others may just be looking for some weapon safety and a basic pistol shooting course.

I reload. I never took any classes. This doesn't mean you shouldn't, but reloading is a weird mix of: science, patience, attention to detail, boredom, repetitive actions, and a large chunk of opinions. Many reloaders like to hold their recipes near and dear. Quite frankly, some of the best information out there is on YouTube. I'll let you make your own choices as who to subscribe to, but let me recommend you start with "TheBudgetArmory1". He makes his own videos, he isn't going to talk down to you, you'll learn something in nearly every video, and he's eager to help people. Great videos, and I've chatted with him a time or two via PM on a few various topics. Great guy, great videos. A bit lighthearted--but I find that refreshing in the plethora of "this is the best best bets A+++ video ever only do this" junk you find in the e-world.

Cheers

@ SCG

I've been fortunate to have all of my courses considered to be training, so I didn't pay for them. None through Fox Firearms. Nearly all CCW courses are, in a word, terrible. They are great for someone who needs a crash course in gun safety, concealed carry laws, and "what to not do" style things...much like driver's ed we take as 15 year olds. It's not going to take you from a "newbie" to a novice.

As you've said, friends who took long and drawn out courses may have felt as though they learned more. It's tough so say, seeing as how subjective it is. One person may know "it all" but just need the course as a formality to apply for a CCP, others may just be looking for some weapon safety and a basic pistol shooting course.

I reload. I never took any classes. This doesn't mean you shouldn't, but reloading is a weird mix of: science, patience, attention to detail, boredom, repetitive actions, and a large chunk of opinions. Many reloaders like to hold their recipes near and dear. Quite frankly, some of the best information out there is on YouTube. I'll let you make your own choices as who to subscribe to, but let me recommend you start with "TheBudgetArmory1". He makes his own videos, he isn't going to talk down to you, you'll learn something in nearly every video, and he's eager to help people. Great videos, and I've chatted with him a time or two via PM on a few various topics. Great guy, great videos. A bit lighthearted--but I find that refreshing in the plethora of "this is the best best bets A+++ video ever only do this" junk you find in the e-world.

Cheers

Yes, I just needed the formality to meet the requirements to apply for CCW, but I would steer anyone away from a class like that who doesn't know a thing about guns and wants to start slow and learn a lot.

When I started canning I wanted someone to show me how to do it (thanks, Ash!) because I am a very visual and hands on type learner. I get a lot from YouTube and step by step instructions with pictures, but nothing beats having it explained to you, in person, with your fingers on it, by someone who does it frequently. Especially for something that can be dangerous if one step is done incorrectly.

I'll check out your recommendation for reloading, and appreciate it, a lot.

We can now resume our regular chicken programming.

I find it so very refreshing to check in here. I like the fact that I can always find someone who has the same stuff cluttering up their head as I do. What do the normal people think about while I'm thinking and learning chicken, predator, garden, and all things related??? The girls have started attacking the decimated garden, and they're having a blast. I could just pull up a lawn chair and sit and watch them devour bugs all day!!

I find it so very refreshing to check in here.  I like the fact that I can always find someone who has the same stuff cluttering up their head as I do.  What do the normal people think about while I'm thinking and learning chicken, predator, garden, and all things related???  The girls have started attacking the decimated garden, and they're having a blast.  I could just pull up a lawn chair and sit and watch them devour bugs all day!!

I find that my job seriously negatively impacts upon my real life. I, too, could sit and watch chickens scratch and eat things and chat amongst themselves all day long!

When I started canning I wanted someone to show me how to do it (thanks, Ash!) because I am a very visual and hands on type learner. I get a lot from YouTube and step by step instructions with pictures, but nothing beats having it explained to you, in person, with your fingers on it, by someone who does it frequently. Especially for something that can be dangerous if one step is done incorrectly.

I find that my job seriously negatively impacts upon my real life. I, too, could sit and watch chickens scratch and eat things and chat amongst themselves all day long!
Being a new chicken owner I know what you mean!!!! I sooo want to just watch and learn from them all day!!!!

Succes! Arrived safe and sound, now it's time to start figuring out who is who... I've fixed the image on my PC so it's not sideways; however it won't upload correct. I'll take more later. 10 Barred rock, 6 red star, and one "rare exotic". To be honest, they move around too much in that little box to count. I know there are 6 red star, but half the time I count 10 black ones, sometimes 11, sometimes 8...when I get home and put them in the brooder we will know more.
congrats!!! Nothing like little balls of fluff!!
2665.png
2665.png
2665.png

Back
Top Bottom