Maine

Placed an order today at Longhorn for some birds. A couple White Leghorn day old pullets and three Golden Comet 12 week old pullets for March. Also thought I would try some Speckled Sussex pullets so I added a couple to the order. For April I added some Khaki Campbells to bring in some young blood with the ducks. And since I have had requests for turkeys this year I did order some Bronze Breasted to grow out for Thanksgiving and a couple Blue Slate for my heritage breed.

And if RMT Farms comes through I will also have some Saxony and Muscovy ducklings along with some Icelandic and Salmon Faverolle chicks.

Hopefully the snow and cold weather will be a thing of the past by the time they arrive. Or at the very least by the time they are ready to go outside.

MEMama, I am so sorry that someone was so nasty to you. There is a way to express your opinion and a way to be downright mean.  Since I am new to chickens, I read a lot about them. Unfortunately there is a lot of disagreements among people who call themselves experts in chicken rearing. They even attack each other's opinions openly on their blogs and facebook pages. I have learned a lot from several chicken bloggers I follow (including one who commented on your blog) and I don't like seeing them attack each other. I wish they would just focus on sharing their knowledge with their fans and stop criticizing those who don't agree with their way of doing things.

Unfortunately, as your blog readership grows and you put yourself out there, you leave yourself open to other's opinions. It is up to you to decide how to handle it. A lot of people truly believe that their way is the right way of doing things and everything else is wrong. Some think that they are trying to help you by educating you about something that you may not know. Please try to not let it get you down and focus instead on the positive comments. 
Actually I think I came up with a creative way to respond to the comment without responding directly. This week's flock focus post is about all the hot topics of chicken keeping. I hope it strikes up some lively (but still kind and respectful) chatter.

Speaking of interesting comments about raising chickens the following was a post from a horse bulletin board I follow. The comments after this one did not show much support for this opinion. Is it wrong? Not entirely. But as has been said there are ways of expressing an opinion without irritating your audience to the point they stop listening.

< I train chickens and can assist with any help you may need. There is a pile of "junk" info out there. Most of it is crazy old wives takes - if it sounds crazy, it usually is.

Chickens are like any other animal. Most people treat them like plants or worse. Chicken neglect and abuse is awful and rampant. Cleanliness is key. PLEASE treat, clean and feed your birds as you would a dog or horse - they are sentient animals.

I heat my coop, as many others with a radiator style heater. I also use air conditioning in the summer.

If you are having problems with coop dust, feathers, spider webs etc - it is TIME to CLEAN the coop - these should NEVER be in your coop. No feathers or dust should EVER be left in the coop as these are disease carrying agents (viral as well as bacterial diseases including Mareks). Coops must be immaculate. I clean and pick up droppings and feathers daily. You should be dusting and cleaning daily. ALL poop must be removed daily - I clean twice a day - morning and night. People should feel comfortable sitting and eating in your coop. If not - your coop is dirty. That is the test. Would I sit and have a sandwich in here? Yes or no.

Frankly, I was a bit surprised at the frostbite article. I would doubt the relevancy of such a site. Anyone who "allows" animals to roam outside in frigid temps or stand in snow is exhibiting reckless and abusive husbandry practice. This is cruelty to animals. This would be considered animal abuse and they would be arrested for cruelty.

The roosters "want" to be outside - is a pile of crap. YOU MAKE the decision on safety not the animal. Would you leave your 2 year old child in the snow because it "liked" to be there. Crazy. The adult makes the decision.

Chickens are NOT resistant to cold - they are ALL descended from tropical birds. RIR and birds with large combs/wattles, very small birds and many Med. and game birds need protection. ALL chickens must never be allowed out in freezing windchill, cold or chilly rain, forced to stand in mud etc. ALL chickens must NEVER be allowed to stand for periods of time in snow!!!!! You WILL get frostbite and possibly foot amputation!! Frostbite is extremely painful - and birds feel the same pain you do. I hear so many horror stories with people openly abusing and neglecting chickens as if they were objects or television sets. Folks, this is animal abuse. Any vet will tell you. Vets see chickens abused (they have done the foot and comb amputations) - and a rooster with frostbite is in PAIN! I am sick of hearing chicken neglect and abuse stories that end up with the animal suffering.>

Woohoo!!!!!!!! Our first egg!!!!!!!! Must be my BO as the others are expected to be EE/OE...

Actually I think I came up with a creative way to respond to the comment without responding directly. This week's flock focus post is about all the hot topics of chicken keeping. I hope it strikes up some lively (but still kind and respectful) chatter.
Awesome! I can't wait to read it :) I will be sure to share it on my blog's Facebook page too.

Speaking of interesting comments about raising chickens the following was a post from a horse bulletin board I follow. The comments after this one did not show much support for this opinion. Is it wrong? Not entirely. But as has been said there are ways of expressing an opinion without irritating your audience to the point they stop listening.

< I train chickens and can assist with any help you may need. There is a pile of "junk" info out there. Most of it is crazy old wives takes - if it sounds crazy, it usually is.

Chickens are like any other animal. Most people treat them like plants or worse. Chicken neglect and abuse is awful and rampant. Cleanliness is key. PLEASE treat, clean and feed your birds as you would a dog or horse - they are sentient animals.

I heat my coop, as many others with a radiator style heater. I also use air conditioning in the summer.

If you are having problems with coop dust, feathers, spider webs etc - it is TIME to CLEAN the coop - these should NEVER be in your coop. No feathers or dust should EVER be left in the coop as these are disease carrying agents (viral as well as bacterial diseases including Mareks). Coops must be immaculate. I clean and pick up droppings and feathers daily. You should be dusting and cleaning daily. ALL poop must be removed daily - I clean twice a day - morning and night. People should feel comfortable sitting and eating in your coop. If not - your coop is dirty. That is the test. Would I sit and have a sandwich in here? Yes or no.

Frankly, I was a bit surprised at the frostbite article. I would doubt the relevancy of such a site. Anyone who "allows" animals to roam outside in frigid temps or stand in snow is exhibiting reckless and abusive husbandry practice. This is cruelty to animals. This would be considered animal abuse and they would be arrested for cruelty.

The roosters "want" to be outside - is a pile of crap. YOU MAKE the decision on safety not the animal. Would you leave your 2 year old child in the snow because it "liked" to be there. Crazy. The adult makes the decision.

Chickens are NOT resistant to cold - they are ALL descended from tropical birds. RIR and birds with large combs/wattles, very small birds and many Med. and game birds need protection. ALL chickens must never be allowed out in freezing windchill, cold or chilly rain, forced to stand in mud etc. ALL chickens must NEVER be allowed to stand for periods of time in snow!!!!! You WILL get frostbite and possibly foot amputation!! Frostbite is extremely painful - and birds feel the same pain you do. I hear so many horror stories with people openly abusing and neglecting chickens as if they were objects or television sets. Folks, this is animal abuse. Any vet will tell you. Vets see chickens abused (they have done the foot and comb amputations) - and a rooster with frostbite is in PAIN! I am sick of hearing chicken neglect and abuse stories that end up with the animal suffering.>
wow. Yeah. Them is some strong feelings. I'd like to think my coop is clean, but I'll admit to a feather or two and maybe a dusty shelf lol. They must not live in Maine or anywhere in the northern region. If chickens didn't go out in any inclement, muddy, snowy or damp weather, they'd only be allowed outdoors four or five days a year.

You're right that they have a few sound points, but they are taking them a bit too far.

Back
Top Bottom