Maine

The cockerels sound worse than the pullet vs hen fights I'm having! My girls are finally settling somewhat into a peaceful existence. Yesterday I opened the fence so the little ones could get out. Despite a few pecks on the head (when one teenager would get too close), it was fairly uneventful... until everyone's feathers were ruffled at roosting time. This morning the little girls still haven't dared to leave the coop. :-/ They've got to integrate before September, when we go away for a few days.

SCG: lovely honey! How many hives do you have? Do you leave any supers on in the winter? Do you put on candyboards? This will be my first winter with two hives.

Freshly frozen whole Pekin ducks 5 lb. Avg. Processed at Westons in West Gardiner. Grain and grass fed. $ 20 / each. Located in Sabattus.

SCG: lovely honey! How many hives do you have? Do you leave any supers on in the winter? Do you put on candyboards? This will be my first winter with two hives.

I have 2 hives right now - added the second hive this year. I do all mediums so they go through winter with 3 mediums (equivalent to 2 deeps). I do add a candy board after I treat for mites in the late fall (about to do that). Last year they had all their mediums full and they still ate almost all of the candyboard. I work with someone whose hive starved in late spring who wished he had added a candyboard. The way I figure it, if they don't need it, no harm, but if they need it, it's there. I think it also helps absorb some of the humidity in there.

I have 2 hives right now - added the second hive this year. I do all mediums so they go through winter with 3 mediums (equivalent to 2 deeps). I do add a candy board after I treat for mites in the late fall (about to do that). Last year they had all their mediums full and they still ate almost all of the candyboard. I work with someone whose hive starved in late spring who wished he had added a candyboard. The way I figure it, if they don't need it, no harm, but if they need it, it's there. I think it also helps absorb some of the humidity in there.

Thanks for responding. I'm going to PM you, so as not to bore the rest of the group with my million of bee questions. :) My local group is so helpful, but I love hearing other opinions.

I don't think you'd bore a single person on the maine site! We all live vicariously through the efforts of others! I'd considered bees, but have for now decided that it's not in my best interests due to an abundance of white clover in the lawn, and my 7 y.o. risk of getting stung when she frolicks through the clover!

The work crew showed up today, and have started clearing my land. The girls are shut in their coop, alternately watching the proceedings, hiding, stacking on top of each other in the nest boxes (so far, no eggs today) and begging to be let out. I'm thinking that I may keep them shut in the coop during the day while the crew are thrashing around!

I'm looking to add two hens to my flock and I've been having difficulty finding some in my area for sale. While I adore chicks, I don't have time to care for babies right now. So I was hoping for a couple 5 mos. up to about a 1 old. Looking for standard sized girls who will lay nice sized eggs. I live in the Westbrook area and don't mind driving a bit of a distance.

I'm looking to add two hens to my flock and I've been having difficulty finding some in my area for sale. While I adore chicks, I don't have time to care for babies right now. So I was hoping for a couple 5 mos. up to about a 1 old. Looking for standard sized girls who will lay nice sized eggs. I live in the Westbrook area and don't mind driving a bit of a distance.
There was an ad on Craigslist yesterday under Free for some chickens in Sanford. They were the age you were looking for too. A small coop was included. I almost replied but decided not to since I knew I would not have time to pick them up today. They might still be available. Or every Sunday for there is a swap at the Sanford Tractor Supply Company. It has grown to be a nice one in the past couple years.

Last edited:

I have one pullet who is at POL: Black Sex Link, pea comb, I'm not sure if she's one of the ones laying yet, but am getting beautiful green eggs from these girls. PM if interested.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom