Maine

What i've found handy instead of poultry/kitchen shears though is construction shears. The $10 special from Home Depot works twice as well and last longer than $40 kitchen scissors. Funny how things are marked up for different uses. For turkeys though, I end up using cutting dykes to cut the neck, I can't brute force them like I do with the chickens. The chickens I like to cut the connective tissue on the neck with my boning knife and just pop it off so there are no sharp edges of neck bone to pierce the shrink bags.

For a knife, I use a 6" Victorinox boning and keep a little carbon kitchen sharpener handy. I just do a jugular slit and the lights go right out from lack of blood to the brain, gets a great bleed on them too. The boning also makes for great nuance for opening the cavity for evisceration. I also keep a junk transfer station swap knife for cutting the leg joints.

We did about 40 for our own freezer this year and maybe another 40 for clients.... not looking forward to thanksgiving... probably going to end up doing 25 or so turkeys.

One of our finished goods:

Nice looking bird.

I decided a while ago to pony up for a brinsea, and right now I'm so glad I did. Today my first batch of deliberately bred chicks started hatching! I set seven eggs, had one early quitter, and right now five of the remaining six are out and drying. The last has started to pip. These will be pure silkies.

Two of them have slightly curled toes on one foot, one more significant than the other. So I've made a little vetrap sandal for those two. I should snag photos of that pair, but it's hard to get the footwear in the image without holding the poor kiddos upside down. I think I'll just let them sleep for now.

We may also have an interesting young cockerel that will need a home. It looks like one of my earlier hatch outs is half silkie, half buff orpington. And given the cushion comb that's come in, and the crazy topknot, I think it's a boy. I'll try to snap photos soon to see if anyone would like to keep him out of freezer camp.

Hi! Speaking of setting eggs...my white Silkie from last spring is sitting on her FIFTH clutch! She goes broody every other month like clockwork. She's a great broody & good mom. I don't have a rooster & get fertile Silkie eggs from someone who does. I have sold all of her surrogate chicks, except for this one I'm PRETTY SURE is a pullet. This one came from her May 13th hatch.

Back
Top Bottom