Major attack - is this a bear?

I ordered the predator eyes as well.

Also confirmed it's a bear (or multiple). I followed the trail of feathers into the woods, found various parts of birds and eventually half a guinea. Then I stood in bear scat (cleverly wearing my slippers...). About five feet further in, I saw one or more bears - looked like a cub or two and a mother. Mystery solved! Decided the best move was to back out, as I didn't really want to stare them down. Now, what to do about them...

Oh wow! That must hav been an amazing and beautiful yet terrifying experience at the same time! Grizzley or black bear? Glad you got all you supplies, for the night, I would brig the survivors inside the house for protection, (which I am assuming you are all ready doing,) and I am trying to think of something that would deter a bear, that you might have on hand. A sprinkler maybe? Seems like censored sprinklers would be best, but you amy no that that on hand, and I don't think you would want to run a sprinkler all night. Just make sure there is nothing for her to eat. Avery

After losing a chicken a day to a fox/foxes when free ranging, we thought we had the problem sorted by only letting them out for 30 minutes before sunset. Between being locked up last night and checking this morning, something visited the coop and tore a big hole in the 1/4" hardware cloth, getting 11 of our 16 birds (4 ISA browns, two bantams, two guineas and our three barred rock hens). We're left with two guineas, a bantam, a barred rock cockerel and one ISA brown hen.

Any idea what could have got through the cloth? Claw marks on the sides in various spots as well and a few black hairs left as evidence. Thinking maybe a raccoon (though didn't think they could get through the cloth) or a bear?View attachment 2343917View attachment 2343918View attachment 2343919View attachment 2343920View attachment 2343921

I am very sorry for your loss and for the damaged your setup sustained. My coop was attacked by a bear a couple of months ago. (Picture attached - impressive bear.) The damage, especially the scratch marks and your location, definitely indicate a bear.

If you can keep your remaining chickens and feed locked up for a few days in a different location - house or garage would be great. The bear will move on since there is nothing there for it. If you feed your chickens outside of the coop, it's important to clean up any spilled grain. This will deter other predators, like raccoons and skunks, and wild birds that can carry parasites and diseases.

Electric fencing is a good option, too. Wrap a piece of bacon around a hot wire, and the bear will get a good zap.

Attachments

• MFDC0154.JPG
    MFDC0154.JPG
    293.7 KB · Views: 165
It looks like maybe a small black bear by the size and depth of the claw marks. Not deep enough for a big bear at all. Bears will eat a lot of what they kill. The hardware cloth is nothing to them. Not sure about the size of your raccoons down there but it would have had to be a monster! We have a huge problem with brown bears up here this year. In the process of putting up electric fencing now. Good luck to you and I am sooooo sorry about the chickens you lost.

Thanks for these great suggestions. We'll put them somewhere safe tonight (think the shed will be the winner here) and once we have an electric fence up, hopefully that'll keep them away. I found the bears in the forest near the house where they seemed to be settling, so also need to think about how to keep them away from the children! Definitely black bears - all we have in our area, and actually the first time that I've seen one. I'm in the Hudson Valley, NY. There was half of a guinea left in the forest by the bears, near to where they're chilling, so assume they'll finish that off before coming back for more, and hope that they don't make it into the shed now!

Back
Top Bottom