Major life conundrums...

My DH and I are green, live as much off the grid as we can, and eat/garden/take care of our animals organically also. Like you, I would LOVE nothing more that to quit my job and farm. I truly like what I do and who I work with but I look forward to retirement one of these days in the far off future so that I can live my dream. At this point, I just don't think the mortgage could be made with one salary and just starting up, I don't think our place could generate enough to pay the bills...Best of luck to you though!!

It is a challenge from the financial side and from the workload aspect; however, the rewards are great! One exercise if you want to make it work as a sole financial vehicle is to make a business plan, where you kinda run into the small farm reality wall. For example, we sell our eggs locally for $2.00 per dozen, I estimate we lose about a $1.00 per dozen on each sale but that is the price the market will bear when you can buy 18 eggs for $1.75 at the store.

Do both as others have said.

I completely understand how you feel. DH and I are slowly trying to simplify our life. Oddly, our flock has a lot to do with it. Just the enjoyment we get out of spending time with them and having fresh eggs, really showed us how we enjoy the simple things in life, so much more than the rat race.

oh lord I understand. I am a nurse also, and the only reason I go to work is to support the farm here. I am hoping a little bit at a time, I can make this place a little more self supporting. I grow tons of starter veggies and sell in the spring, am expanding to include ornamentals this year. I raise pigs, cows, chickens , am going to expand into selling some meat in a co-op type agreement. If I could support myself and family with the farm, I would leave nursing in a NY second and never look back...... maybe someday

Definately get your farm!! and definately Do Not Quit Your Job --- not yet.

Do both for at least two years. It'll take you at least two years to really get into the farming aspect, anyway, and in the meantime, you'll have income to help build the buildings, and buy the critters, etc...

If you quit your job (ie- outside stimulation, society, etc...) you will be going nuts in a couple of years. Some folks could maybe handle the sudden change, but most find it a chore at the very least.

The first year you will be on your honeymoon - it will seem like paradise. The second year the newness will start to wear off and you'll begin to notice all the things you've given up to achieve this dream. If you have considered and planned for a very long time, you may have already decided the "give it up" is worth it. But if it is a spur of the moment thing, you may regret a lot.

Plus, did I mention that you're gonna need money?
lau.gif

My story is - hubby and I wanted to get out of the city forever - we finally got our farm, and the first two years have been wonderful, I don't regret a thing. But... it has cost us more than we thought for little things (like moving to a farm when you have no farm equipment, building chicken coops, barns, stalls, fencing, etc...) We expected some cost - just not as much as we ended up with.

We are retired, so no income, except for what we earn on interest on accounts and from the farm itself. If you want the farm to pay it's own way, you need to plan ahead for that. Expect that cost on top of the regular day to day costs.

so, go for it, but look into it a bit closer and don't do everything at once - go slowly. You may end up buying a few horses and find out you simply can't stand how they smell, or the bother involved in their care, etc..., that sort of thing...

and remember... The absolute worst thing to wish upon your enemy is to win the lottery and achieve all their dreams in one fell swoop - it is usually a recipe for failure.

meri

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a working theory on this sort of thing...

People never change. We're all more or less the same as when we were children.. As we mature and begin making our way through he world, we simply become more free to become the person we were born to be, while also becoming increasingly aware of -- and disturbed about -- our limited time to be that person.

While it may seem like a sudden, monumental upheaval to decide you want to buy a farm and go live in the country, you're really just coming around to the reality that you've put off being who you really are for about as long as you can stand it.

That's my theory, anyway.

I went crazy a long time ago, though...and I'm only 31.

My Mom lives almost completely off grid (she does have phone service) She has solar power, a sheep farm, a huge garden, and believe it or not she has a new fangled composting toilet. That seemed a little off-the wall to me at first, but it actually dosn't stink. She does have to watch her "electricity" so she dosn't use to much, but she is quite content. Her hot water heater is one of those on-demand propane deals, and it works great for dishes and showers, baths whatever.

Quote:

People never change. We're all more or less the same as when we were children.. As we mature and begin making our way through he world, we simply become more free to become the person we were born to be, while also becoming increasingly aware of -- and disturbed about -- our limited time to be that person.

While it may seem like a sudden, monumental upheaval to decide you want to buy a farm and go live in the country, you're really just coming around to the reality that you've put off being who you really are for about as long as you can stand it.

Very well said!

Quote:
totally agree with boaz here. people think they have an idea of what all it entails to run a farm but they really havent a clue. while it may be a peaceful hobby, farming is a stressful job. keep you dayjob, i promise.

Quote:

Very well said!

I second that!

Back
Top Bottom