Habibs Hens

Cream Legbar Keeper
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have a single Polish Chick I got as day old

she I think its a she is now 5 weeks old and at 4 weeks the other chicks where pecking her crest

I removed her after she was given a small bold patch and put her with other day old thinking she will be bigger and they wont peck

well was I wrong

even the chicks are pecking her and they are only 10 days old

she now has a very large bold patch and red raw

she basically looks like my DAD
lau.gif

What can I do to help her and stop this pecking

please

btw I do have anti peck spray but found that its just a selling ploy and they don't actually work. so have not tried it yet

My suggestion is to find your Polish a crested buddy like another Polish or sultan. I also keep my Polish with silkies without issue. Or rehome your Polish. A lot of breeds don't mix well with Polish for this exact reason. There's a good chance the others will always pick on her crest.

I have had this problem before. Polish chickens tend to be very sweet and for some reason other chickens love to peck at their crests. I used a product called blu-kote. You can get it at tractor supply or most feed stores. It's a wound dressing and it also colors the wound purple. The other chicks will keep pecking her if her wound is red because they are attracted to it. It's instinct. Spray really well so no red is showing. I had to use it twice on one chick but then they left her alone.

My suggestion is to find your Polish a crested buddy like another Polish or sultan. I also keep my Polish with silkies without issue. Or rehome your Polish. A lot of breeds don't mix well with Polish for this exact reason. There's a good chance the others will always pick on her crest.

I got my polish to breed to NNs but as the NN's are older and the polish was as chick of the same age as my hatched chicks I brooded them together but will be removing the polish and adding them to the NNs and that should solve it as NN's get pecked too so there should be harmony amongst them

I have had this problem before. Polish chickens tend to be very sweet and for some reason other chickens love to peck at their crests. I used a product called blu-kote. You can get it at tractor supply or most feed stores. It's a wound dressing and it also colors the wound purple. The other chicks will keep pecking her if her wound is red because they are attracted to it. It's instinct. Spray really well so no red is showing. I had to use it twice on one chick but then they left her alone.

I have seen the spray the one here in UK is purple

I will get some and try that until then I will try the anti peck spray I already have

i currently have a pair of polish in a mixed flock and have seen no issues. they were brooded together from day olds with some SLW's. they are now in the pen with yokies, SLW's, EE's, OE, and a light brahma.......maybe because all these breeds tend to be docile, as that was my goal, is the reason im not getting any pecking, but i DO think she is rather low on the order in there.

Have some cuckoo Marans and BO's due to head out there soon, so we will see if things still go well.

We specialize in Polish and Sultans.
They are tiny compared to most other chicks.

As stated above, no red can be allowed to show or pecking will continue.

On plumage that shows red, I have used "white out" paper correction fluid with the little applicator brush.
On beaks and combs used "Make Up Foundation" to blend away the red area. Do not fill the nostrils.

Of course the bird has to heal for a day or two before applying any paint or make up.
Dont apply to open wounds.

Pecking toes happens too.

1)Seperate
2) heal
3) and cover with Make Up Foundation.

Finding another Polish chick would be good for the one you have.

Spicy.

I have 3 polish and one sultan in a mixed flock so far no issues but I think it is because they were brooder mates. Even my randy BO H*rny Henry leaves them alone and he tries to mount anything, including a snow shovel
gig.gif

By the way,

We have a coop just for Polish and Sultans, and brood them seperate until they are as large as the big hen chicks.
Like 2 extra weeks.
So a 4 week old Polish or Sultan fits in with 2 week old Buff Orphingtons and Barred Plymouth Rock chicks for instance.
Size matters when mixing different breed chicks.

Right now I dont have an exact number, but we have about 50 Polish and Sultans including hens, roosters and pullets and brooder chicks
10 hens are our resident breeders for the incubator.
And about 200 large breed hens, roosters and pullets and brooder chicks.
About 40 are our resident hens that lay eggs to eat and for the incubator.

Quite a handful.

Having different coops helps keep breeds together, while seperating issues.
Having had the pecking issue almost on a daily basis, I can relate that taking swift measures to fix the problem is best.
A good Make Up Foundation might promote healing, and right away the red is gone, and pecking stops.

Spicy

Right now my Polish is 5 Weeks and is with Chicks that are only 10 days old but still beign picked on

cant understand this

here she is

Back
Top Bottom