Habibs Hens

Cream Legbar Keeper
7 Years
Mar 31, 2012
London, UK
My Coop
My Coop
I have a single Polish Chick I got as day old

she I think its a she is now 5 weeks old and at 4 weeks the other chicks where pecking her crest

I removed her after she was given a small bold patch and put her with other day old thinking she will be bigger and they wont peck

well was I wrong

even the chicks are pecking her and they are only 10 days old

she now has a very large bold patch and red raw

she basically looks like my DAD
lau.gif

What can I do to help her and stop this pecking

please

btw I do have anti peck spray but found that its just a selling ploy and they don't actually work. so have not tried it yet

If they are of the same age then yes they should be fine to brooded together. Once the crest feathers start to come though I would keep a close eye on the situation. They have very prominent crests which can sometimes attract unwanted attention. Polish in general don't do well in mixed flocks some do though it really does depend on the temperament of the other birds.

Good luck with them
thumbsup.gif
Yes, from what I understand Australorps are a very calm and docile breed, but I do have an area that I can put the Polish Chicks in if need be. Thanks for answering. Rose
goodpost.gif

I just saw this is an old chat, but so interesting, I could not resist buying 3 in the local market, along with 3 ordinary red chicks, I guess younger, and 2 beautiful whites. The polish punks are being pecked by the young red chicks, so I have seperated them for the time being. I want peace. I wonder if you solved your problem?

I posted earlier in this thread but I'll repeat what worked for me was the blu-kote. You can get it at tractor supply, etc. It is an anti bacterial spray similar to dermablast you use for humans but it's made for animals so it has the purplish dye in it. It's very important that no red wounds are visible or your chick is at risk of being pecked by it's companions. It's safe, colors the wound to prevent more pecking & helps healing like neosporin. It saved my lovely polish chick & now she's a happy part of my mixed little flock. Good luck. They are delicate when young but after that rough patch I've had no other problems with her. She's about 3 yrs or so now and one of my favorites. Also one everyone asks about because she's so interesting looking.

Hi,
I was also having some trouble with my polish chicks. A few weeks ago (about 7 or 8) I had ordered 15 chicks from a hatchery, two of which were silver laced polish chicks. When they arrived, one didn't even last the night, and the second lasted a day or two before it died. They were obviously smaller than the other chicks but we're not being picked on. We supplied them with a brooder, food and water, and while the other chicks seemed to thrive, the two were weak. I had read that they're quite fragile as chicks, but in the future if I get more polish chicks, what should I do differently to ensure them living?

My suggestion is to find your Polish a crested buddy like another Polish or sultan. I also keep my Polish with silkies without issue. Or rehome your Polish. A lot of breeds don't mix well with Polish for this exact reason. There's a good chance the others will always pick on her crest.

I have had this problem before. Polish chickens tend to be very sweet and for some reason other chickens love to peck at their crests. I used a product called blu-kote. You can get it at tractor supply or most feed stores. It's a wound dressing and it also colors the wound purple. The other chicks will keep pecking her if her wound is red because they are attracted to it. It's instinct. Spray really well so no red is showing. I had to use it twice on one chick but then they left her alone.

My suggestion is to find your Polish a crested buddy like another Polish or sultan. I also keep my Polish with silkies without issue. Or rehome your Polish. A lot of breeds don't mix well with Polish for this exact reason. There's a good chance the others will always pick on her crest.

I got my polish to breed to NNs but as the NN's are older and the polish was as chick of the same age as my hatched chicks I brooded them together but will be removing the polish and adding them to the NNs and that should solve it as NN's get pecked too so there should be harmony amongst them

I have had this problem before. Polish chickens tend to be very sweet and for some reason other chickens love to peck at their crests. I used a product called blu-kote. You can get it at tractor supply or most feed stores. It's a wound dressing and it also colors the wound purple. The other chicks will keep pecking her if her wound is red because they are attracted to it. It's instinct. Spray really well so no red is showing. I had to use it twice on one chick but then they left her alone.

I have seen the spray the one here in UK is purple

I will get some and try that until then I will try the anti peck spray I already have

i currently have a pair of polish in a mixed flock and have seen no issues. they were brooded together from day olds with some SLW's. they are now in the pen with yokies, SLW's, EE's, OE, and a light brahma.......maybe because all these breeds tend to be docile, as that was my goal, is the reason im not getting any pecking, but i DO think she is rather low on the order in there.

Have some cuckoo Marans and BO's due to head out there soon, so we will see if things still go well.

Back
Top Bottom