Mar 29, 2021
My chicken laid this small soft shelled egg, then laid a normal egg the next day, and next thing she lays is this monstrosity! She was having issues all day laying it then finally shot this out with an audible squelch

20210827_170751.jpg
this is the first small softshell one ^
20210901_181453.jpg

20210901_181506.jpg
and then this is the weird one. This end part was surprisingly thick but not hard, and then the rest was stringy and gooey, with slight membrane but it was weird

Okay so there's been two more times this has happened, but one time was right before she laid a perfectly good egg.

I got her from a friend who says she is a year or two old and is a regular layer, and she's been laying since I got her (this April) save for the moult that took a month and a half.
Maybe it's stress from a relatively new home and a hard molt? My understanding is that these are usually hiccups that work themselves out.

She getting layer feed or calcium? Just trying to pin down possible causes.

Maybe it's stress from a relatively new home and a hard molt? My understanding is that these are usually hiccups that work themselves out.

She getting layer feed or calcium? Just trying to pin down possible causes.
She's getting layer feed with 17% protein and 4.20% calcium. She has settled down really well and has her whole chicken day planned out for spending it in the yard, eating bugs, trimming grass. she almost gets underfoot sometimes when I'm gardening.This morning there was another slimy deposit of egg whites with a membrane underneath a fresh egg, which was perfect in quality. The molt ended in the early days of June and this started about a week and a half ago

She's getting layer feed with 17% protein and 4.20% calcium. She has settled down really well and has her whole chicken day planned out for spending it in the yard, eating bugs, trimming grass. she almost gets underfoot sometimes when I'm gardening.This morning there was another slimy deposit of egg whites with a membrane underneath a fresh egg, which was perfect in quality. The molt ended in the early days of June and this started about a week and a half ago
Huh. Sounds like a great chicken life!!!

I have no idea what's going on.you might try upping her calcium if those shells are soft, but you said that at least one of the weird eggs was at least partially hard...

At this point, I'm wondering if you should just do the wait and see approach. It may sort itself out.

I have a 3 yrs old hen who only lays a few times a year. I thought for sure it was something serious when she laid a couple of shell- less eggs early on, but so far, so good. Clearly, there's an issue ruth my girl's sysyem, but ithasn't caused any major problems, then maybe it isn't something really bad...??? Idk.

Back
Top Bottom