Majorly different growth rates in chicks?

Ah yes, the what gender /breed is one of my favorite games. :pop

I agree, lots of chicks look very similar to the Welsumer. :loveThe clues that make it easiest are comb type, skin/shank color, earlobe color (hard to see when young IMO), and other things like crests or feathered legs and how many toes. But it's the subtle difference that help tell. Even Easter Eggers look the same as Welsumer essentially except for the beards and muffs. :p

So a couple fun fact, if you didn't know... Marans is always said with the S at the end even if referring to a single Marans as they are for a port town in France named Marans. And Welsumer can be spelled with either 1 or 2 M's (I use 1), they are from a village named Welsum in the Netherlands. So would be with only 1 M like referring to the people who are from the town. :cool:

Also, if you really want to know right now.. MPC will identify the chicks for you with your pics. I'm fairly confident of them being in your bottom pic.. Welsumer, Cuckoo Marans, Cochin, Golden Buff across the bottom. Then Wyandotte standing nice and tall. The only one I am unsure of is the speckled one. But I'm not affraid to be proven incorrect and learn something new either. :)

In regards to your original question, there are 6 chicks feeding out of a tiny bowl. Even at this age there is a pecking order in your group. I would suggest a larger feeder giving the smaller, less dominant chicks an equal share of feed.

Ah yes, the what gender /breed is one of my favorite games. :pop

I agree, lots of chicks look very similar to the Welsumer. :loveThe clues that make it easiest are comb type, skin/shank color, earlobe color (hard to see when young IMO), and other things like crests or feathered legs and how many toes. But it's the subtle difference that help tell. Even Easter Eggers look the same as Welsumer essentially except for the beards and muffs. :p

So a couple fun fact, if you didn't know... Marans is always said with the S at the end even if referring to a single Marans as they are for a port town in France named Marans. And Welsumer can be spelled with either 1 or 2 M's (I use 1), they are from a village named Welsum in the Netherlands. So would be with only 1 M like referring to the people who are from the town. :cool:

Also, if you really want to know right now.. MPC will identify the chicks for you with your pics. I'm fairly confident of them being in your bottom pic.. Welsumer, Cuckoo Marans, Cochin, Golden Buff across the bottom. Then Wyandotte standing nice and tall. The only one I am unsure of is the speckled one. But I'm not affraid to be proven incorrect and learn something new either. :)

I did not know that about Marans or Welsummer!! I love fun facts like that , so thanks :)

Also didn't know MPC will id chicks from a pic! The curiosity is kind of killing me so I might do that...

The one with speckles is supposed to be a Wyandotte (she looked just like the other one for about a week)...and she is the most incredibly gentle, cuddliest, sweetest chick of them all. We're calling her Daisy...can you feel the love? ;-) Will post what she turns out to be once we know for sure. Maybe some sort of fabulous random breed!

In regards to your original question, there are 6 chicks feeding out of a tiny bowl. Even at this age there is a pecking order in your group. I would suggest a larger feeder giving the smaller, less dominant chicks an equal share of feed.

Thanks for your reply! That is actually just their "treat" dish (sometimes I add a little water to their feed and make a mash which they go crazy over) If you look in the background of the picture, you'll see a long red feeder that's always available and full of food. Everybody fits around that one with room to spare :)

Thanks for your reply! That is actually just their "treat" dish (sometimes I add a little water to their feed and make a mash which they go crazy over) If you look in the background of the picture, you'll see a long red feeder that's always available and full of food. Everybody fits around that one with room to spare :)

Try fermenting your feed since they like it when you wet it. The difference in the way the poo smelled so much less bad was the convincing factor for me to stick with it when I first tried. :sick The other benefits are great as well. Check out the link in my signature line and feel free to ask questions. I highly recommend it if you have a couple extra minutes per day. Saves *some* (about 10% for me) on feed and increases probiotics as well as nutrient absorbtion. Win win! :old It's truly as simple as mixing equal parts feed and water, stirring once a day and waiting a few days to feed out.

The speckleed one appears to have a straight comb though? That would be incorrect for a Wyandotte... but not the first time I've seen it.

AS far as the speckles go, could be a color Wyandotte I'm unfamilliar with.. but that is NOT a gold or silver laced because they *should* look the same as the one standing tall.

Also, did you give MPC the option to substitute different breeds if they were short on what you ordered? Just mentioning it as a possibility. :)

Try fermenting your feed since they like it when you wet it. The difference in the way the poo smelled so much less bad was the convincing factor for me to stick with it when I first tried. :sick The other benefits are great as well. Check out the link in my signature line and feel free to ask questions. I highly recommend it if you have a couple extra minutes per day. Saves *some* (about 10% for me) on feed and increases probiotics as well as nutrient absorbtion. Win win! :old It's truly as simple as mixing equal parts feed and water, stirring once a day and waiting a few days to feed out.

I am definitely going to try it!! Thanks!!

The speckleed one appears to have a straight comb though? That would be incorrect for a Wyandotte... but not the first time I've seen it.

AS far as the speckles go, could be a color Wyandotte I'm unfamilliar with.. but that is NOT a gold or silver laced because they *should* look the same as the one standing tall.

Also, did you give MPC the option to substitute different breeds if they were short on what you ordered? Just mentioning it as a possibility. :)

I just realized I'm confusing the Wyandotte chicks with the Welsumers! It was a Wyandotte that died of the 2 I ordered. SO...that one standing up tall...Wyandotte (fingers crossed because it's one breed I really really wanted).

Then I guess that one that looks Welsummer might be a cockerel, but I'm gonna hope he turns out to be a she :)

And that leaves The mystery of Daisy (she looked just like the other Welsummer for the first week or so but bigger). Looking at the Speckled Sussex link, I think that's a very good possibility. I can't remember if I checked to oktosubstitute box, but I might have... :-o

Now that makes sense. The tall standing 1 does have the classic marking of a laced Wyandotte though it's hard to tell from the pic if it's actually gold as you expect or silver. I'm sure you can tell in person.

I wish I had doubt about your Welsumer being a cockerel. But I would definitely make a plan B for him by week 11 or so depending on individual is often when they start trying to mate! :(

It might be nice to have a Sussex and a GLW instead of 2 GL Wyandottes. Mixed flocks are a lot of fun! And they are very pretty. :love My neighbors love seeing the variety on my pasture.

MPC will refund you for the boy if you paid for pullets once he is big enough for them to confirm, usually around 10 weeks I think. You can check their policy. I personally would take the refund instead of credit towards another shipment.

I like the name Daisy.. have a dog named Daisy May who found me at the dog park in May 8 years ago and had a daisy collar on. She's ONE of the best dogs ever. :D

Back
Top Bottom