Majorly perplexed by this tunnel.....

paneubert

Crowing
7 Years
Nov 20, 2015
Snohomish County, Washington State
My Coop
My Coop
Let me set the scene. My run is 23 feet by 15 feet, with wood fence on 2 sides, the coop on the third (for most of the third side), and a farm fence style fence for the 4th. Wood fence is the "Shadow Box" type where the fence boards alternate on each side of the horizontal 2 by 4. Fence looks the same from the inside and the outside. Since the fence boards alternate inside and outside, there are large gaps that many small predators could just walk thru. Between each fence board there is a space that is probably about 10 times the size a rat needs. I did add some 2 by 4 inch weave chicken wire, but this does not make the holes or gaps any smaller. Not even sure why I did it. The farm fence side is made of wire with 2 by 4 inch openings. Huge access point for rats and stuff. Enough said.

So......why did someone decide to make a tunnel about a foot long into my run!?!? Hahaha!
:eek::idunno

V1CBzJ6.jpg

FpYsBzQ.jpg

This all was done overnight....

Exterior end of the tunnel. Almost a perfect circle.

xh9i3cZ.jpg

To make this even more confusing, this tunnel is right next to my gate. My gate that has a massive gap between the gate and the post. You can see the tunnel to the left, and the gate/gap to the right.

mFp00fS.jpg

I sat there muttering "why" over and over again.....haha. After I gave up on trying to determine the logic of a rat, I dug out the tunnel on the run side a bit and stuck a T-Rex snap trap in there with some peanut butter. Covered it with a small plywood board so the chickens don't mess with it. Will be interesting to see if I catch anything. I might crumble some rat poison in there if the snap trap doesn't work. After first filling in the tunnel to see if it is re-excavated of course. Maybe this was a one time thing....

You were correct to surmise rats.

Why the tunnel? That is probably home sweet home.

Maybe? I ruined their plans by sticking pretty much my entire arm in there from the run side before I realized it was an actual tunnel. I originally thought this was a small chicken excavation under those rocks and edgers since I have seen them dust bathe in that corner. I said "huh, that sort of looks like some sort of excavation". And it just kept going deeper and deeper as I wiggled my hand into it. haha. Then I went to the outside of the fence and saw the entrance/exit. Glad nobody was home.

Right under the rat bait station!

Worthless bait station! Water gets in (I assume thru the small clear bait viewing window) and the bait gets all nasty. I have some of the professional ones in other parts of the run. The kind that are sort of triangular with a larger flat side that go along walls. Have to use a special key to unlock them, etc...

The one that this rat tunneled under was there just because I had it sitting around and I figured the more the merrier. I actually tossed it in the trash right after I took these photos. Haha. The irony of the tunnel location!

Back
Top Bottom