Tunnels???

I find tunnels like that in my yard from chipmunks. If that's what it is they're probably filling their cheeks with chicken feed and are relatively harmless other than eating a ton...however the concern is that other things can use the burrows to gain access to your chickens and eggs like weasels, rats, snakes. Adding a hardware cloth apron at least 1 1/2 foot to 2 foot wide should deter them. When I was building my run chipmunks had burrows all over that area but my digging and pounding chased them out and with the hardware cloth down they never came back and went to burrow elsewhere. I didn't bury it in the soil more than an inch to cover the sharp edges, the ground was to rocky and hard. I just attached it to the bottom of the run put heavy rocks around to landscape and secure it.
chip.jpg

I find tunnels like that in my yard from chipmunks. If that's what it is they're probably filling their cheeks with chicken feed and are relatively harmless other than eating a ton...however the concern is that other things can use the burrows to gain access to your chickens and eggs like weasels, rats, snakes. Adding a hardware cloth apron at least 1 1/2 foot to 2 foot wide should deter them. When I was building my run chipmunks had burrows all over that area but my digging and pounding chased them out and with the hardware cloth down they never came back and went to burrow elsewhere. I didn't bury it in the soil more than an inch to cover the sharp edges, the ground was to rocky and hard. I just attached it to the bottom of the run put heavy rocks around to landscape and secure it.View attachment 3677927
What do you mean hardware cloth apron

Back
Top Bottom