Make existing coop mobile?

The StarGazer

Hatching
Jul 9, 2019
I have attached a pic of the existing chicken barn I have. It's somewhat hefty, weighing about 100 lbs total. This was a gift and I would like to use it, but I want to make it mobile. Not built up off the ground on a moving platform, but rather how to successfully add wheels and "handle/handles" to move it by myself. Similar to a wheelbarrow style I suppose. The material it's made out of is a ultra thick plastic, very sturdy, but I do feel I need to put a solid piece of ply or something under it so the weight distribution during movement doesn't put unneeded pressure on the coop itself. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a simple and preferably somewhat quick way to turn your existing coop into a mobile one?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190708-221246_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20190708-221246_Chrome.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 26
I have attached a pic of the existing chicken barn I have. It's somewhat hefty, weighing about 100 lbs total. This was a gift and I would like to use it, but I want to make it mobile. Not built up off the ground on a moving platform, but rather how to successfully add wheels and "handle/handles" to move it by myself. Similar to a wheelbarrow style I suppose. The material it's made out of is a ultra thick plastic, very sturdy, but I do feel I need to put a solid piece of ply or something under it so the weight distribution during movement doesn't put unneeded pressure on the coop itself. Any thoughts? Has anyone else had a simple and preferably somewhat quick way to turn your existing coop into a mobile one?
I bought a cheap boat trailer frame and set the coop on it. Then I added enclosed pens on each end, but still movable.

Attachments

• Homesteading Things 016.JPG
    Homesteading Things 016.JPG
    591.3 KB · Views: 19
Has anyone else had a simple and preferably somewhat quick way to turn your existing coop into a mobile one?
Boat trailer is a good suggestion, or some other kind of wheeled base frame...small trailer or large garden cart. That would be the simplest/quickest way.
Why do you need to make it mobile?

That 'barn' is going to need some other modifications too, like some serious ventilation and maybe bigger roosts. Also it won't hold the 12 birds they claim in a comfortable or healthy way, more like 4 birds max.

Oh, and.....Welcome to BYC! @The StarGazer
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, (laptop version shown), then it's always there!
upload_2019-7-9_17-43-56.png

Back
Top Bottom