MAKING 3 GALLON PLUS WATERER

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pattya, Mar 14, 2009.

1. pattya

pattya Out Of The Brooder

May 2, 2008
    LOOKING FOR INFO /PLANS/IDEAS/ ETC FROM MEMBERS THAT HAVE MADE WATERERS THANKS

2. JennsPeeps

JennsPeeps Rhymes with 'henn'

Jun 14, 2008
    South Puget Sound
    There have been lots of threads about feeders and waterers. Try the search feature and I'm sure you'll find lots about them.

Welcome to BYC!

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Hard to make a waterer that's as secure as store-boughten ones. However if you don't mind some spills/floods, take a bucket. Find a pan (like an oil change pan or some such) a couple few inches wider than the bucket. Measure how deep the pan is (this is important!). Now drill several 1/2" holes around the top edge of the bucket, with their distance from the bucket rim being about 3/4" less than your measurement of pan depth. (This avoids overflowing.)

To use, fill bucket with water. Put pan on top. Holding pan against bucket, flip the whole assembly over real quick so not too much water spills. Presto, you now have a vacuum-style waterer... until some chicken bumps against it and tips the bucket over and all the water comes out *plooosh!* [​IMG]

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

4. partysummer07

partysummer07 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 15, 2009
    Orlando, FL
    If you want to join the bucket and pan together, one thing I tried that actually seems to have worked for two days so far is this:
    I used a screw gun to quickly screw the two pieces together, then I dripped wax on the bottom side around the screw to create a seal. My waterer is a half gallon jug and a tupperware though. It might be harder to get through one of those pans and a thick plastic bucket. Also, now that I'm thinking about it I might have to throw the whole thing out if the screw rusts. Oh well, only took me ten minutes anyway!

5. RW19290

RW19290 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Southern California

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by