Making a mash!

catdaddy66

Songster
10 Years
Nov 18, 2009
Lugoff, SC
I am trying to make a mash for my 9 day old chicks and was wondering if this recipe is ok for them. I was wondering how to avoid waste w/ the chick crumbles as the chicks cannot get the last little bit out of the feeder. Rather than throw it away I thought about making a homemade mash for them as a treat. I used 1 cup of crumbles, 2 cups cooked rice, 1 cup cooked collard greens, 1 egg, and 1/4 cuo walnut/raisin/cranberry trail mix. This was heated to near boiling for <5 minutes and cooled, then reduced in a blender to make it digestable.

Should the chicks get some grit to help w/ the digestion of this treat?
Is this a good treat for them this early?
What do you guys do w/ the residual feed that isn't eaten?

Thanks for all your responses!!
old.gif

caf.gif

Last edited:
smile.png
Hi, hate to see a post go unanswered, so heres my best shot; I did feed grit and scrambled eggs but never tried any other goodies. probably won't hurt them, as if they were hatched by mother hen they would eat what ever was given to her.
hmm.png

Hi 9 days is pretty young. Maybe just add a little yogurt and a dash of milk or water to the left over crumbles. Maybe the egg too. Or what the heck why not. Not like you are going to feed it every day the rest of their life right.

Egg=good protein: nuts=good protein, rice low protein only 6% or so, chick starter is 20+% , Greens are great.

Start by learning the protein value of everything you may feed your chickens! Then work your way into learning the amino acids and the rest of the nutritional information, read and research everything you can. Calculate, calculate and calculate, be sure you are providing a balanced diet. If not then just limit the treats you feed and stick with a commercial mix.

I personally am striving towards a mash twice a day with whole grain diet for my birds. I am determined to move away from commercial mixes. I am at a point where I offer organic commercial mix free choice. Soon I will not. However, I consider the extra work and all the research and calculations FUN!

Good luck!
ON

chick starter is all they need. the other stuff can give them runs. i grind in food proccessr when young(2-3 weeks) give starter till fully feathered. then u can give snacks.

The starter that is left over in the feeder I put on the ground for them to scratch in. As soon as it's on the ground they go after it. I also sprinkle chick grit on the top of the starter but not to much, like salting food. I do this from day one. I also make sure they have plenty of fresh water

Thanks for the feedback!!

My chicks kind of stared at and walked around and ...didn't eat it!!
hit.gif
hit.gif

I am only giving this treat once in a while, maybe each week. May wait til they are older to reintroduce it to them.

I always keep the starter crumbles out (free choice) and they get fresh water twice daily, and have started w/ ACV every other day.

My mash may be too wet. It has the consistency of a milk gravy (no milk in it though). I think it should be drier and crumblier.

Did not think to use the leftover crumbles to let them scratch at the bedding...Good Idea!!

What do ya think?

Last edited:
I've been told by others here on BYC to go easy on the milk because chickens cannot digest it. I used to give my Gold Comets some powdered milk mixed in with a warm mush I started making up for them this winter but I cut the milk out and added potatoe flakes instead. We've been giving it to them every day early in the morning when they come out of the coop. I think it gives them a good boost during all this crappy winter weather we've been having down here in the Carolinas all winter long. But yougart is good for them as an aid to digestion. We'll mix in some yougart once a week. One other little tidbit that I think may have some significance is someone here on BYC suggested cayenne pepper or crushed red pepper flakes as an aid for laying. I've got to say I do think all this has something to do with the fact that our 19 Gold Comets have been producing an average of 17 eggs all winter long even though they weren't supposed to be doing so.

Back
Top Bottom