Making an "Architectural Statement" with an Urban Chicken Coop

calista

Songster
9 Years
Jan 27, 2010
DH has a veteran friend who lives in Portland whose wife is taken with the idea of backyard chickens. So far, so good...

They live in an upscale neighborhood and the wife wants a very fancy coop for her allowed three hens. She selected the 2010 Metrocoop. Here's the product description:

Over the last several years, we’ve worked with many of our valued chicken keeping customers and some very talented local designers and architects to develop the Pistils’ MetroCoop. This modern, modular coop is not only highly functional — for ease of egg harvesting, clean-out, etc. (and customizable) — but it’s sure to make an attractive architectural statement in any backyard.

standard footprint: approx. 11’ x 5’ (ideal for 3-5 hens) / critter-proofed, walk-in aviary with full-sized door / exterior cedar construction for extended durability / large henhouse doors for ease of clean-out / egg harvesting hatch on henhouse exterior / multiple perches and nesting boxes / decorative woven wire / approx. $4,000, dependent on features

ep.gif

More of us need to get into the high-end coop-building business!

sorry, link removed because of reports of warnings from members' virus protection software.

Last edited by a moderator:
I could make something nicer with the scrap wood from home depot and all the leftover crap laying around my yard.

Me thinks you and I should start a business. I'll build it---out of recycled GREEN materials---and you hunt down the customers.

Deal?

Calista--is your friend interested in some rare Dodo birds? I have 3-5 we could fit in her new coop.

Quote:
Deal! And we will supply three goose eggs with each completed coop that are guaranteed to hatch into dodos!

Speaking of recycled green materials, DH reported today that his vet friend nearly had a heart attack when he was shown the price tag to keep three hens in the lap of luxury, and a very animated argument followed with DW, who finally agreed to give up her Metrocoop when DH threatened to cut up her credit cards.
lol.png

DH did some research on his own for an snooty coop with a more realistic price tag and found -- THE HEN HEDGE!

"The modern box offers elegant housing for the chickens, along with a style that blends into the discerning homeowner's exterior decor. The green roof and green wall provide shading along with blending into the landscape, and the design featured the option of either tractor or fixed coop, depending on the needs of the owners."

47849_hen_hedge_1.jpg

47849_hen_hedge_2.jpg

http://landscapeandurbanism.blogspot.com/2010/04/pica-coop-design-competition.html

I think we should go with this design to introduce "living fences" to all of suburbia! Let's dream big!

I live in Portland, and I DID check out the Pistles coop. I just simply could not believe anyone would pay that much money for a coop when you could build one for so much less. Seriously people...

$4000 and for that you get woven wire not welded? That's chicken wire. Do they give you free replacement chickens when yours get killed by predators who get inside the coop?

Back
Top Bottom