Making an "Architectural Statement" with an Urban Chicken Coop

Hey Everyone...I'm the owner of the coop mentioned in this thread. And here's a little FYI for you....it was NOT $4000! I have no idea where on earth that figure came up. I have never once said anywhere it was that price. The article on our coop in Country Living July/August 2011 states that it cost us $1600 to build. And YES, we built it ourselves without any help.
And NO we do not consider it a status symbol or trying to keep up with or outdo anyone. We just wanted a nice coop to fit our style.
In our Country Living article I intenionally gave credit to BYC for helping us learn about chickens but I can't believe how much negative stuff is said on here about us.
Heather Bullard

Im pretty positive that every one is referring to the OP's article about the Pistils coop. I went back and reread all the posts and I couldn't find anyone that spoke badly about your coop directly. The person who put the picture of your coop specifically spoke of your article that states it was done for $1600 and comments positively of it. Perhaps if you reread everything you will see no body is against your coop nor do they believe you paid 4k to make it.

Last edited:
That is the way I read it too. Your coop is being praised! Your coop does look awesome. Mine was a lot cheaper nd rustic but I can get away with it on 2.5 acres. if I was on a smaller block I would want one like yours.

Hi Delilah and Claudicles, appreciate you trying to clear things up. This is not the only thread with comments about our coop just the one I chose to address it to. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I hope that regardless of which coop they're talking about, they will realize the negative, rude comments are not profitable for a community of support.
I wish you both the best in raising your flock and thanks again.

Last edited:
That is the way I read it too. Your coop is being praised! Your coop does look awesome. Mine was a lot cheaper nd rustic but I can get away with it on 2.5 acres. if I was on a smaller block I would want one like yours.
Exactly, I think Heather just misunderstood all the comments and thought they were about her. Clearly that wasnt the case, I hope she does reread it so she sees that us BYC'ers aren't as mean as she thinks. I made a coop for my main flock out of pallets and I have a smaller one for the younger hens I made from a shipping crate I got at work. Neither are as nice as Heathers but my girls dont complain a bit :)

Back
Top Bottom