Making an egg skelter ?

Hi everyone, I'm the wife of Phil who invented them, in UK nearly five years ago! We have launched in USA, about two weeks ago, through mannapro ...try mannapro.com or eggskelter.com
they're a lot harder to make than they look...... believe me.:)

VERY nice to meet you. That is one beautifully elegant idea yall came up with! It looks like something that's been around for a long time.
There was a post on BYC just a few days ago with the link to MannaPro. In all honesty, I will very likely end up getting one from you. My 'self-sufficient-stubbornness' drives me to try and make a 'free' one first. A few more wire cuts and I will likely give in - LOL.

I have to ask though, where did the name 'skelter' come from?

Hi! thank you for the compliments!!
The name came from me and some friends sitting with red wine one night , trying out all sorts of names, but this was the one we could remember the next day; Looking at that explanation, I will say there were several of us, and not That much wine, promise!!

im making one now- i have a teeny kitchen, and the commercial skelter looks like it would take up just way too much valuable counter space.

the one im making is tall and skinny- half the width of an egg carton- and 4 rows tall.

I am using turquoise rubber coated stiff wire- sold as clothesline in hardware stores.

My theme is along the lines of a 24 pack soda can dispenser made for vertical storage in refrigerators. after starting to make mine, i realize it would probably be easier and nicer looking to make out of wood- but since im in the humid tropics and seeing how everything out here is prone to mold- I opted for the wire.

here is a pic of the soda dispenser- i am using for inspiration. Ill post pics on this thread once i finish mine. enjoy!
http://images.containerstore.com/catalogimages/90608/BeverageCanDispenser_l.jpg

This sounds interesting. I will be looking forward to your pics. I was going to see if I could make one myself but wasn't too sure on how I would set it up to deal with all the different sizes of eggs that I come into contact with.

Hey! How ya been?
frow.gif

Egg skelters are a gizmo that stores your eggs in order of when they were laid (or when they were collected, in my case). New eggs on the top, oldest eggs on the bottom. As you use the older eggs, they roll down the ramp and make room for the newer ones.

The wire style is what I'm looking for...

But here are some nice wooden ones that would be wonderful to have

(I would need more than one of these..)

(rolls to the middle, I suppose)

My hubby, being a woodworker, was fascinated by the wooden ones shown. I can't find ANY of them anywhere online, though. (Of course I realize this is an old thread - heck, most of the places listed don't even sell the egg skelter anymore!).

Wondered if anyone had any links for wooden egg storage of this oldest-out-first variety?

Thanks!

Well, I talked with DH and upped the design for the egg holder just a little bit. He will make 3 of the linear egg ramps, leaving the center material high on the bottom. Then he will make a base with 3 levels of ridges for the ramps to sit on. Then, I will fill the ramps from front to back, so the older eggs are higher on the ramp and as I fill a ramp, I will start filling the next ramp back. As we use eggs from the front ramp, when it is empty I will simply remove that ramp from the front, move the next 2 ramps forward and put the empty ramp in the back. Not as easy as the Egg Skelter, but it will work until I can save up the money to buy the real thing.

Back
Top Bottom