Making an olive Egger?

Connie123

Chirping
Mar 25, 2020
I ordered an olive Egger and didn’t get one. We don’t show and we keep what we have (with the exception of too many Roos). I have an Austra white that is seven months and went broody. I’ve had chickens nearly my whole life and can honestly say I’ve never had a FULL sized hen go broody - let alone a young one and a non sitting breed at that.

So I have a crested cream legbar hen and a Brahma roo that I thought may make an olive egg. Or will they just make a green egg and I need to cross that baby (fingers crossed we get a girl out of three eggs) baby to a brown producing roo to make a second generation green making them darker as they go?

You need to cross a blue or green egg layer with a dark brown egg layer. The deeper the brown, the deeper the olive. So it's best to start with a dark brown egg layer as one of the parents.

Legbar x Brahma cross will produce green eggers but not Olive Eggers. You have to cross a blue egg to a dark brown egg to produce Oliver eggers. Legbar or Ameraucana crossed to Marans or Welsummer for instance.

Back
Top Bottom