Making auto sexing chicks with a cream legbar rooster.

Phage

Mad Scientist
13 Years
Aug 1, 2009
San Diego, CA
For you genetics geniuses out there could you advise on what sort of hens would produce auto sexing chicks with a cream legbar rooster.
The rooster is barred see below

My current hens are cream Legbars and a:
barred rock, wheaten Ameraucana, exchequer leghorn, brabanter, basque and a Swedish flower hen.
I also have easy access to a bunch of other birds so happy to add one or 2 if necessary.
Any ideas would be awesome!!
Thanks

Crele light brown leghorn would work. Any crele variety that has hens with a salmon breast .

Tim

Thanks! Why the salmon breast? How does that play into the genetics?

I know that using a crele penedesenca hen would work, and make olive Eggers.

Last edited:
Thanks! Why the salmon breast? How does that play into the genetics?
I know that using a crele penedesenca hen would work, and make olive Eggers.
Salmon Breast is only found on birds with the wildtype e allele. just the the cream legbars, the cream legbars are wildtype but with the sex linked barring added to make them autosexable..

the Welsummer breed is one of the breed that has wildtype as the main look, the hens have salmon breast, cream legbars also carry wildtype e allele, this is due because wildtype is one of the best e alleles for autosexing..

here is an example of what is a salmon breast, see how the cream legbar salmon breast is diluted by the pheomelanin diluter cream gene(autosomal recessive)

Crele penedesencas are also autosexable BUT their e locus is eb(brown) instead of wildtype e+, for this reason the hen lacks the salmon breast

here a Crele penedesenca showing the lack of salmon breast

Last edited:
Thanks for the awesome advise. So welsummer hens will produce auto sexing olive Eggers?
if you cross the legbar rooster with welsummer hens, yes. you will be able to tell the males from the females, BUT...the males will only have one copy of the barring gene, meaning that if you cross him back to welsummer(to improve the dark olive eggs) you will only get 50% of the chicks with the barring gene. this means they will not be able to be sexed at hatch as you will get unbarred males that will look like females... and you will get unbarred females that will look like barred females, at least at the chick stage, when the start feathering out you will be able to tell the unbarred males and females from the barred birds

So thoese would be more sex linked.
If I just wanted to make current F1 off spring sex linked presumably there would be more choice of hens?

I crossed my Crele Penedesenca hens to a cream legbar rooster. The babies from that cross are now laying a beautiful olive colored egg. I put the two girls back in with their dad and am about to hatch the first eggs. Will the babies be auto-sexing?

I have just hatched chicks from a crested cream legbar rooster with 1 wellsummer hen and 1 Lohmann brown hybrid hen. The chicks have all hatched with stripes on their back, the chicks from the wellsummer eggs also have a black dash along the eye. They look very similar to the pure cream legbar hen chicks I had last year.
This was my first time hatching eggs from my own hens so very exciting!

Back
Top Bottom