Making auto sexing chicks with a cream legbar rooster.

Ok, so I also have some chicks that I hatched out the end of Nov. Those chicks were a cross from a Blue Australorp rooster over a non-barred NN hen that was laying green eggs. There was 3 chicks with the Naked neck from the match, 2 blues and a black. I am growing those chicks out. Could I use them with a cross to a CCL to try to work towards an auto-sexting NN?

Edit: The hen used actutally looked a little partridge like in the feathering.

To establish autosexing you start with a barred breed and a breed with a chick down pattern that can distinguish double factor barring in males from single factor barring in females. Below is a chart that was published by the researchers at the Cambridge University Breeding Program from their work on the Legbar (Note: The Cambridge University Breeding Program developed nearly a dozen autosexing breeds in this same manner). You can substitute any variety of chicken with a suitable chick down color to in for the Brown Leghorn and any breed with the black white barring in for the Barred Rock. A cross of a Blue Austalorp and Buff NN would not be an ideal start because you will have birds that are expressing extended black and carrying the recessive color pattern of the NN so you will end up with twice as many culls. If the cross have something that you are wanting from the finished project (i.e. green eggs) then you can use the crosses. It just takes more birds to get what you need to move forward with the next step.
autosexing-chart.jpg

Last edited:
So, it look's like it will be easier for me to create a cross from these 3 breeds that I have that could possibly end up being in the NN's in the B/B/S colors that would be able to lay blue/green eggs, but would not be autosexs. I don't want to have to buy a bunch more birds that I don't want just to get it.

Hi I haven't posted for a while but I have questions. First how do you counter act the cream gene when trying to use crested cream legbar roos for the auto sexing factor from cancelling out skin pigment? Has anyone tried using another blue egg layer with the Crested Cream Legbar to create a auto sexing blue egg layer? IE I have a EExCCLB Roo and a Barred Rock x Ameraucana hen and was wondering if I crossed them if I would get a blue egg laying auto sexing barred bird. I am just starting to learn Genetics so be patient with me if these are dumb or obvious questions.

Last edited:
I know this thread is old but, I have 7 Opal Legbars, 2 Cockerels and 5 pullets, along with Auto Sexing Bielefelders, Rhodebar & IsBars they are my projects, I also have an established flock of 11 (2) Buff Orpingtons, (2) Blue laced Wyandottes, (1) Silver Laced Wyandotte, (2) White leghorns. (1) Australorps, (1) Light Brahma, (2) Easter Egger.

Legbars have been my project since 2010. I started with autosexing Leghorns that were created over a six-year breeding program done by a breeder near me who used Barred Plymouth Rocks and Sigle Combed Large Fowl Brown Light Brown Leghorns. I originally was going to introduce the blue egg gene from barred blue egg layers and then possibly introduce cream plumage and crests after that. Imported Cream Legbars became about that time though so I got some of the imported stock and have been working with it ever since. Yes, these are project breeds and need lots of work. I was very optimistic early on thinking I could get to a refined line breed strain of Cream Legbars in about 5 years. Well...15 years might have been more realistic for the limited numbers I am working with (I only grow out an average of about 50 Legbars a year).

What are the goals of your projects?

Crested Opals or Non-crested?

Are you going to try to create autosexing Isbars? Do you get even colored light green eggs from the Isbars are the dark olive color with lots of spots and splashed?

Are to tracking growth rates and mature weights of the Beillies?

Are you breeding the Rhodebars for eggs or for meat?

Back
Top Bottom