making automatic waterer filler

freshegg

Songster
11 Years
May 15, 2008
greenfield,ma
can i some how run tubing (like the kind you use to run to refridgerator for ice makers) to a waterer that I can control from inside?or that will work automatically? has anyone done this if so how.

Why not? You just want to get the water to the point of use, right?It doesnt matter what you use as long as it is non-toxic, rated for your supply pressure and doesn't break the bank.

Keep in mind that many purpose designed poultry waterers are configured for low pressure feed (under 10 psi). Connecting them to a regular residential supply might be a problem.
If you need to reduce the pressure, you can get simple in-line restrictors, ball valves or make one from a small plastic disc with 1/8" hole drilled in it that fits inside the hose connections.

sounds confusing, wish I was more handy. how much pressure is in the line to the fridge? how does that only run when needed.Im thinking of this for winter time when they will be cooped up. I know ill have to go out occasionally and clean , fill the 25 lb feeder, check for the occasional eggs and make sure the water isnt freezing (im going to use a heater) the water supply line is right under the coop in the cellar I could easily run electric and the tube though the floor into the coop. heres a pic of cellar way turned to winter coop 8 hens

deanforprom006.jpg

sounds confusing, wish I was more handy

Naaaaaa, read it again and just ponder it for a moment or two.

how much pressure is in the line to the fridge?

Around 30 psi, maybe a bit more.

How does that only run when needed.

It is turned on when needed by an electro-valve.

I could easily run electric and the tube though the floor into the coop.

I agree. And it would be a GREAT way to ensure you didnt have a potentially disastrous autowaterer freeze-up - common in cold climates.
The simplest way to do this would be with plastic tubing and a simple ball valve. Connect the tubing to the source, run it to the ball valve and run the outlet of the valve to the water bowl/container.
Need water in the dish? Open the valve.
With a little practice and experimentation, you would learn how many seconds to leave the valve open and so fill the container.​

Last edited by a moderator:
oh thank you so much I think I can do this now that you spelled it out and named the parts for me. I could of pondered for a month and I would be clueless I can barely put a screw in something. but Im getting better with age. thanks again so much.
smile.png

If there is a home supply place or well stocked hardware store nearby, here's what I suggest:

Take pictures of your connections (the source fittings), take them woth you to the store and just tell them what you want to do. Include a scale ruler in the picture, measuring the fittings in the photo, so they can size things accordingly. I just use a digicam for this when I am unsure. I, too, am getting better with age, but on occasion I still need some help.

Let them know you want this to be made from common residential stock and to be inexpensive. They will know what fittings will work, where, and can advise you on how to connect things, secure the tubing correctly, and so on.

well I think when I explain to my brother who runs a heating and plumbing supply store he should be able to help but if not there is a home depot and lots of hardware stores here. thanks again.

well I think when I explain to my brother who runs a heating and plumbing supply store he should be able to help

Heck, yeah! You got it made!!...literally
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom