Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Man, I quit getting notifications for this. Hate it when that happens.
Welcome back! Raining all weekend, don't expect much. I had to hide the littles in the newly restructured grow out pen in the barn. Between the constant rain (started 16+ hours ago), the steady wind, and the dropping temperatures, I wasn't confident they weren't too stupid to seek shelter at roughly 3 weeks of age, w/ no adult to show them the ropes. Will try and get a picture of the new set up later.

Welcome back! Raining all weekend, don't expect much. I had to hide the littles in the newly restructured grow out pen in the barn. Between the constant rain (started 16+ hours ago), the steady wind, and the dropping temperatures, I wasn't confident they weren't too stupid to seek shelter at roughly 3 weeks of age, w/ no adult to show them the ropes. Will try and get a picture of the new set up later.
I know you are culling to “match” your chickens to your dirt and to let the smarter survivors reproduce. (That may be an oversimplification )

But here is my question. Have you looked into how some animals see colors differently than we do? For instance an orange and black striped tiger can be camouflaged in a green forrest?

All that to say I think the patterning you are leaving in is really smart and should help even if your predators see colors differently.

I know you are culling to “match” your chickens to your dirt and to let the smarter survivors reproduce. (That may be an oversimplification )

But here is my question. Have you looked into how some animals see colors differently than we do? For instance an orange and black striped tiger can be camouflaged in a green forrest?

All that to say I think the patterning you are leaving in is really smart and should help even if your predators see colors differently.
Yes, and yes. Youu got it exactly right. I'm trying to breed pattern in to my red (gold)-based birds.

Because there are two sorts of visual hunters (gross oversymplification), and I have both locally. There are visual hunters who hunt primarily based on color differences - i.e. the big white spot of one of my Pekin ducks on my grounds, or the big black smudge of some of my hens dustbathing/heat resting who immediately pop out. There are also motion-based predators who aren't particularly sensative to color, but detect quite rapidly changes in outline/picture alterations from movement, against whom pattern provides the best camo.

Its a rods and cones thing, and a bit of how the brain is wired as well.

Nothing is perfect, of course, but I have an eye at improving odds against both types of visual predator. Also, I like the look. ;)

Yes, and yes. Youu got it exactly right. I'm trying to breed pattern in to my red (gold)-based birds.

Because there are two sorts of visual hunters (gross oversymplification), and I have both locally. There are visual hunters who hunt primarily based on color differences - i.e. the big white spot of one of my Pekin ducks on my grounds, or the big black smudge of some of my hens dustbathing/heat resting who immediately pop out. There are also motion-based predators who aren't particularly sensative to color, but detect quite rapidly changes in outline/picture alterations from movement, against whom pattern provides the best camo.

Its a rods and cones thing, and a bit of how the brain is wired as well.

Nothing is perfect, of course, but I have an eye at improving odds against both types of visual predator. Also, I like the look. ;)
Makes perfect sense.

16761499952329052664782851008173.jpg
16761500344067533902885980476255.jpg
1676150113011216094965452181205.jpg

The newly restructured grow out pen, chicks included. The door opens, of course, but so does the "wall" next to it, so I have plenty of space to get in and clean out.
The back wall has a hinged door to let them out in their run (not today, rain, wet, wind, etc. and you can see my little kerbonixx incubator sitting on top of the bottom half of the tool chest, ready to go. Above it all, more storge. and my mushroom farm (not working).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom