Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

What's Sous Vide?
Sous vide is an immersion cooker - you put the food to be cooked in a vaccuum bag, then place the bag in a container of water. The sous vide machine warms the water to a very controlled temperature, and circulates the water.

Two nights ago, we took a pork butt, not exactly the most tender cut of meat, and sous vide it at 155 degrees for 21 hours. It wasn't fork tender (quite), that would have taken 160 degrees, but it was the best, most tender, moistest "country style" boneless pork ribs I've ever had.

Basically, it uses lower temps for much longer periods to produce collagen breakdown at temps below (and far more consistent than) what a conventional oven can manage, without the risks of foodborn illness.

Sous vide is an immersion cooker - you put the food to be cooked in a vaccuum bag, then place the bag in a container of water. The sous vide machine warms the water to a very controlled temperature, and circulates the water.

Two nights ago, we took a pork butt, not exactly the most tender cut of meat, and sous vide it at 155 degrees for 21 hours. It wasn't fork tender (quite), that would have taken 160 degrees, but it was the best, most tender, moistest "country style" boneless pork ribs I've ever had.
I was thinking about one.... but I got thinking about micro plastic getting in the food. Not that you can buy anything that isn't sold in plastic LOL

Basically, it uses lower temps for much longer periods to produce collagen breakdown at temps below (and far more consistent than) what a conventional oven can manage, without the risks of foodborn illness.
Immersion Cooker, I've heard of that. The name threw me off.

Back
Top Bottom