Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
...and culling will be delayed. 2 3/4" of rain so far, not looking like it much plans to stop this morning. I like some running water while I do the deed, but that's a bit much.

That system is certainly a fast-mover. I planned on finishing the mowing this morning and getting some more melons planted where old seed didn't sprout and it's already wet here even though last night's forecast said it wouldn't start until after noon.

That system is certainly a fast-mover. I planned on finishing the mowing this morning and getting some more melons planted where old seed didn't sprout and it's already wet here even though last night's forecast said it wouldn't start until after noon.
We got Claudette 2 days ago. Forecast was 3.5 - 5.5", favoring the low end. We received about 1.5". Yesterday, we received another roughly 1.5". Then today...

1624370561751.png

Its just chaining over us as the lows draw moisture out of the Gulf. Either the bands split around us, in which case we are much drier than expected, or they get pulled right over us, like last night.

Birds love it. Temps are good, winds are not more than 10, plants are green, and bugs are hopping.

I have a bit of a time getting them to stay on the scale as well and much patience is required(something I am in short supply of). I use it as a way to handle the birds more often so they don't freak out as much when I am around. It takes a slow hand to keep them at ease on the scale and my hands are always close so I don't have to go chasing them around the yard.

I'm not going to out them, but judging by the raft of new "Like"s this thread has just received, we have a new lurker. WELCOME!!! Feel free to comment anytime, welcome to my project, my confusion, and my stumbles. Hope its both entertaining and informative.

/edit and they have reached page 27. I admit a particular delight in waiting for them to reach this message and find its welcome for them! :D :wee

Last edited:
It wasn't me... was it? I don't think so....
anyway, I think your project is very interesting :D
Nope - wasn't you. I was not aware you were lurking. The person I refer to is still reading their way to the present. I believe they are on page 11 or 12 currently.

WELCOME! glad to have you.

Last edited:
I'm not going to out them, but judging by the raft of new "Like"s this thread has just received, we have a new lurker. WELCOME!!! Feel free to comment anytime, welcome to my project, my confusion, and my stumbles. Hope its both entertaining and informative.

/edit and they have reached page 27. I admit a particular delight in waiting for them to reach this message and find its welcome for them! :D :wee
🤣I was perusing and started reading your thread. All caught up, and damn interesting!

🤣I was perusing and started reading your thread. All caught up, and damn interesting!
Thank you @Auntiejessi3 !!! and again, welcome to my Chicken Journey. Rain has stopped, time to get set up for the promised weights, photos, cullings.

/edit and after menu discussions with my wife, everything is getting skinned today. We are starting with !Nom Decimus, age 17 weeks. He's getting braised in Bar B Q sauce (crock pot), shredded, then finished on the flat top. After that, I've got a young drake from January's hatching to remove from the flock, and will likely take my remaining CornishX, in full hard molt. They will become sausage - separately. I've got a frozen turkey breast too, I **could** make turdukhen sausage, but my wife is unamused by the idea. After that??? Time dependent, I'd be culling some of the barred females, which needs doing.

Or, I'll rearrange all that - we'll see who is easiest to catch. and when it starts raining again.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom