Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

My pleasure. Some of your chicks have been down right beautiful! I love the blues! You need a welsummer😉
If I were still living in TX, I'd sell you all my Blues, cheap. I love them too, they are absolutely beautiful birds - but they are nothing like what I'm trying to engineer for this terrain. Would be happy to see them go to a new home.

I mean, I'm happy to see them on the table, too, but I'd be as happy to see them in a new home and have a few dollars towards offsetting some of their feed costs.

Post in Process - marking the end of P01-02, !Nom Decimus

Live weight, age 17 weeks, 4.62# (73.9 oz). Processed weight expected around 3#.

1624387395935.png

Final presentation
16243896807308285153839176466238.jpg

2.86# process weight, including heart liver gizzard. That's a low yield, as well. Glad i didnt wait.

Last edited:
Working on catching up but just wanted to say man, @U_Stormcrow , nice record of the project. Your attitude/approach to breeding and practical write ups make for some good reading. You make me even more excited to start my own breeding project. :highfive:
Shortly after I started, real-life struck, and my record-keeping went to pot. Trying to pick it back up, but it's been a struggle. Still, talkin these things through has helped me in my decision-making. And the community has helped to keep me from making some major mistakes

Next up, I'm taking the poor Cornish X. She's in a hard molt, and at 10.14#, She's suffering in our heat and humidity. Only thing to do with her is make sausage. Age is about 14 months almost 2 weeks.

16243914585248497746181039532272.jpg

The very poor condition of the feathers is obvious, as is her bald patch from the molt. She has an identical patch on the opposite side, plus the bare chest you expect from a bird resting that much weight on its keel. Molting of course has not helped that at all.

Next up, I'm taking the poor Cornish X. She's in a hard molt, and at 10.14#, She's suffering in our heat and humidity. Only thing to do with her is make sausage. Age is about 14 months almost 2 weeks.

View attachment 2730316

The very poor condition of the feathers is obvious, as is her bald patch from the molt. She has an identical patch on the opposite side, plus the bare chest you expect from a bird resting that much weight on its keel. Molting of course has not helped that at all.
Was she the one you were hatching from earlier?

Was she the one you were hatching from earlier?
the one and only. Signature already adjusted to reflect her absence.

Hoping to get 5# of sausage from her. Likely country breakfast sausage. Will make seasoned ground for burgers out of the extra drake - duck is essentially red meat, works better for that, while old bird is a better stand in for pork, I find.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom