Making Lemonade [Selective Culling Project - very long term]

Pics
Started 12 more eggs in the Incubator - mostly largest and least brown in color - these are from some I held for a buyer seeking hatching eggs which are now a week old, so I'm using them myself. Several FLATS of others for the same reason which I now have no buyer for, but could have sold as shell eggs. My buyer has ghosted me.

The 8 chicks from last hatch are doing just fine. and I think I'm going to cull some today. Down to just two birds in freezer camp.

Started 12 more eggs in the Incubator - mostly largest and least brown in color - these are from some I held for a buyer seeking hatching eggs which are now a week old, so I'm using them myself. Several FLATS of others for the same reason which I now have no buyer for, but could have sold as shell eggs. My buyer has ghosted me.

The 8 chicks from last hatch are doing just fine. and I think I'm going to cull some today. Down to just two birds in freezer camp.
Yes I just gave my neighbor 6dz that a buyer wanted and then turned into a ghost.

It occured to me that I hadn't put up a picture of the new chicks. This is them, as of two days ago.

Much the same now, only larger.

1652474223315.png

Another picture of the new hatching, and started a fresh incubation (with stored eggs) two days ago.

Was in process of cleaning out the brooder box - normally there is a heat plate on the side, a towel on the bottom, a feeder, and two water sources. You can see how much these babies spill when offered dry crumble.

All the "yellow" birds have patterned wings at this point. One black has a white spot on the head, the other is "grey", that is blue, with patterning on the wings sort of showing, black on grey.

One of the yellower yellows (back corner, with the darker markings) is "half brahma" - foot feathers, but not pronounced, and what appears to be a thicker leg than most). The more brown/yellow, foreground? Really is larger than the others. Thick legs again, and feathered (fully) feet. If either is a male, I'll keep for future breedings (or both). The yellow females will remain.

The other three, unless there is some exceptional surprise, are early eats. I've not had young bird in a while.

1652712023860.png

What's your goal weight for eaters this round?

I'm attempting a batch of meaties, of a cross of Malay X EE/Brahma, after I'm done with my other breedings. Hoping to get 12lbs pullets/hens, & 14½lbs cocks, with a decent amount of meat.

Gonna hatch 12, & probably keep two back for breeding.

What's your goal weight for eaters this round?

I'm attempting a batch of meaties, of a cross of Malay X EE/Brahma, after I'm done with my other breedings. Hoping to get 12lbs pullets/hens, & 14½lbs cocks, with a decent amount of meat.

Gonna hatch 12, & probably keep two back for breeding.
at what age????

My hopes at heavy birds have largely been dashed on the rocks, it looks like I am going to have to work at that after I have the colors and pattern I want, though I keep holding out hope wih the Brahma crosses. If I can get a 5# male at 12 weeks (live weight), I'd be thrilled right now - but I've not seen one of those in several hatchings.

at what age????

My hopes at heavy birds have largely been dashed on the rocks, it looks like I am going to have to work at that after I have the colors and pattern I want, though I keep holding out hope wih the Brahma crosses. If I can get a 5# male at 12 weeks (live weight), I'd be thrilled right now - but I've not seen one of those in several hatchings.
6-8 months, if possible younger then that.

Can you possibly get larger breeds to help out with your project, size, & weight wise?

6-8 months, if possible younger then that.

Can you possibly get larger breeds to help out with your project, size, & weight wise?
Yes, but I won't (for now) - that sort of defeats the purpose of the project, which was starting with a bunch of hatchery quality "stuff", and making something of them without focus on a breed, per se.

Eventually, I'll have to bring in new genetics, but it will be "a while".

Back
Top Bottom