Making my own coop/run. Am I doing it right?

BirdsInParadise

Songster
May 9, 2016
So my run is roughly 40 Sq ft.
My coop around 10 Sq ft.
I have quite a large yard for them to cruise in and they will have the run of it.
I've 2 silkies.

Last edited:
I put limo tint on the south facing windows of my coop to knock down the light from a neighboring commercial property. Works great. The roosts are right in front of those windows and no issues with the chickens sleeping.

My wife says she wants hinged shutters. So....
Hinged shutters it is.
Thanks for the reply,T!

It sounds ok so far, but have you factored in chicken maths? We all want more chickens - they are addictive little things!

CT

It sounds ok so far, but have you factored in chicken maths? We all want more chickens - they are addictive little things!

CT

LoL. I've heard of the addiction. For now, we are set on these 2. A trial run, of sorts. If the time comes where we want more, I've designed the run to be easily added on to as I have PLENTY of space. The coop has been made entirely of scraps n repurposed lumber. If we get more birds I can easily build a larger coop and spend the time (and $$$) on some more "attractive" n spacious digs.
Time will tell, huh?
Thanks for the reply!
P.S.
Does the coop need to be insulated?
I'm in So Cal so summers are HOT and winters are rarely sub 30s.

Last edited:
Your coop does not need to be insulated. What you do need is a lot of ventilation for both winter and summer. However, in winter when it's chilly you don't want a breeze blowing directly on your birds. Your vents should be high enough and the roosts low enough. I live in Montana where the summers can be very hot and the winters very cold. My girls live in an uninsulated coop with no heat added. They got through the winter in great shape.

Your coop does not need to be insulated.  What you do need is a lot of ventilation for both winter and summer.  However, in winter when it's chilly you don't want a breeze blowing directly on your birds.  Your vents should be high enough and the roosts low enough.  I live in Montana where the summers can be very hot and the winters very cold.  My girls live in an uninsulated coop with no heat added.  They got through the winter in great shape. 

Ok, I see. The coop has 1 screened window about 18"x10". There is a 2" gap around 3 sides of the upper frame where the roof sits. I also incorporated 1/2" gap around floor of coop.

Add more?

Thanks for reply!

Last edited:
More windows would be good, for light and air. Make sure all openings are covered in hardware cloth, well secured, or bad things will happen! No openings larger than 1/2" anywhere. Two Silkies are too few! Mary

Last edited:
Moer windows would be good, for light and air.  Make sure all openings are covered in hardware cloth, well secured, or bad things will happen!  No openings larger than 1/2" anywhere.  Two Silkies are too few!  Mary

Hey, Folly! Thanks for the reply.
I'm actually planning on adding a small skylight to the roof for some more light. The gap I mentioned will be screened in.
I think I will drill some 2"-3" holes in the upper rear of the back for more vent.
Thanks again!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom