Making run more entertaining

Beware using too many 'treats' as enrichment.

More 'stuff'...2x2's and branches for roosts, logs, stumps, pallets leaned against wall or up on concrete blocks, grazing frames, old table/chairs/benches.
Use your imagination, can always change it out...actually changing or just rearranging stuff out can help create 'new' diversions.

This is what mine looks like in spring summer when chicks are present,
have to remove most of it when the snow comes.
Click on pic and use arrows for more pics.
full

I am trying to get a handle on the treats. I know they say no more than 10%, but I have a hard time judging that amount. I have 8 chickens, so I normally give out a handful of mealworms or grubs spread on the floor. I also give a few lettuce leaves or Swiss chard from the garden that I let them tug at the leaves while I hold them. Does that sound ok?
Thanks for the info and pics!

Sounds ok. Treats should never be more than a few tablespoons a day per bird that would be about 5-10%.

Last edited:
Add a log, or a few log rings of different heights. Ours started out as a natural perch, but when the run got wet and I flipped it over to dry, my biddies went nuts over all the little tidbits and treasures they found. I started flipping it over regularly while they waited expectantly for the "Unveiling of the Treats." They enjoyed it so much I added another when that one bit the proverbial dust.

I am trying to get a handle on the treats. I know they say no more than 10%, but I have a hard time judging that amount. I have 8 chickens, so I normally give out a handful of mealworms or grubs spread on the floor.
To figure the '10%' you'll need to figure out how much volume of feed your birds eat each day, can be tedious and even if you get it close it's not going to be an absolutely accurate ratio.
I add feed to feeder every morning, ~2 scoops (cut off quart milk bottle).
If there's some left the next morning I put in a bit less, if it's bare empty-a bit more.
After a time you get a pretty good idea of how much they consume daily.
I use that to 'measure' how much scratch they get daily, I have a ratio I want to hit between the 8% scratch and 20% feed to get about 18% protein. Other foods are given occasionally but not often enough to worry about, and it's always pretty small amounts.
It's an overall approximate balance that's just good to be aware of.

Back
Top Bottom