Making run more entertaining

Jlgonzo

Chirping
Nov 2, 2018
North Alabama
97683552-5B99-4B91-B2A4-35527D4F65CE.jpeg
B1ED910E-5070-4164-B04A-66A089DB0627.jpeg
Our 8 chickens have a 8’ x 17’ covered run. It has a concrete floor with 3 to 4 inches of sand on it. It was built this way to keep predators out. As much as I would love them to free range, we have too many predators (Fox, coyote, bobcat, hawks, owls and raccoons). I am trying to figure out ways to engage them more to keep them happy. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Do they have a dust bath? Or you could offer some alfalfa hay.
Since the floor is sand, I was not sure if they need a separate bath as I used to see them bathe in the sand but now I don’t seem to see them doing it, but it is not like I watch them all day. I have thought about making a separate one with a mixture of sand potting soil and peat moss a we have those items for our garden.

The run is looking good. I like WhiteWyan's ideas. A deeper tub filled with sand would make a good dust bath, and they do love to play around with alfalfa hay.

Putting things for them to hide behind or explore is always something they enjoy. Even weighted down cardboard boxes will do the trick on a temporary basis. Some chickens enjoy toys like balls, and just about all of them like to play with a head of cabbage suspended from the ceiling to a height just above their heads. It's good exercise for them.

Back
Top Bottom