making run perches without creating obstacles for humans.

DickMidnight

Crowing
Oct 23, 2021
i have a 16x8 fully predator-proof run that's 7' high on the low side, and close to 9 feet high on the high side. most days, my chickens are let out into a 60x60 fenced in area of the woods to scratch and play, so their run is fairly boring, with a small swing and one perch in the corner.

in the winter, they don't get out into their yard as much, especially when there is snow on the ground. so i'd like to make some perches from tree branches to give their run some interest, but i just don't see a way without making the run a complete nightmare for me to move around in.

any ideas would be great. i don't have any pictures of my setup on my computer, but will edit this post from my phone with some shots of the run.

Attachments

• C7CA6EAD-3080-4288-B446-E13D02113E7F.jpeg
    C7CA6EAD-3080-4288-B446-E13D02113E7F.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
  • 21E22D14-5955-43FC-85AD-8D8A748B9D2D.jpeg
    21E22D14-5955-43FC-85AD-8D8A748B9D2D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
  • E586AF12-A305-4394-8098-1DA26ACE4A13.jpeg
    E586AF12-A305-4394-8098-1DA26ACE4A13.jpeg
    910.9 KB · Views: 12
When I did mine I sorta sought out some bent branches so I could keep things along the sides without branches going across everywhere. I ended up reconfiguring my branches a little bit after a year or so and improvements were made for humans and chickens.

The area where your feeder and stuff is at looks spacious enough to add some good perches there, while still leaving plenty of room for you to get in there and move around

When I did mine I sorta sought out some bent branches so I could keep things along the sides. That corner with the tire looks like you could add a lot and still have room to walk in there. I reconfigured my branches a little bit after a year or so and improvements were made.
that corner and high along the back wall (where the tire is) were my two main thoughts.

did you fasten yours down at all? or rest them on framing?

i'd like to make some perches from tree branches to give their run some interest, but i just don't see a way without making the run a complete nightmare for me to move around in.
Depending on the length of the tree branches, maybe just run them along each side of the run, about 1 foot in from the edge. That would still let you move around in the middle. Skip any side that has a door, or end the perch in a way that still lets you go through the door.

Of course you could make them at different heights, which would be a little more interesting than all one height. Maybe put the highest one running the short way of the run, so they can fly down along the long direction of the run if they choose.

I would probably put them between waist high and shoulder high for a person. That's high enough you don't catch your foot and trip, high enough that you can bend down and reach under if needed (especially if the perch is near the wall so you don't have to reach far), but low enough you are unlikely to bump your head unless you are already bent over.

An alternative is to put them higher than your head, which lets you move freely underneath but requires the chickens to fly futher up and down (which could be a problem for big heavy breeds, but probably fine for small ones that fly well.)

Depending on the length of the tree branches, maybe just run them along each side of the run, about 1 foot in from the edge. That would still let you move around in the middle. Skip any side that has a door, or end the perch in a way that still lets you go through the door.

Of course you could make them at different heights, which would be a little more interesting than all one height. Maybe put the highest one running the short way of the run, so they can fly down along the long direction of the run if they choose.

I would probably put them between waist high and shoulder high for a person. That's high enough you don't catch your foot and trip, high enough that you can bend down and reach under if needed (especially if the perch is near the wall so you don't have to reach far), but low enough you are unlikely to bump your head unless you are already bent over.

An alternative is to put them higher than your head, which lets you move freely underneath but requires the chickens to fly futher up and down (which could be a problem for big heavy breeds, but probably fine for small ones that fly well.)
now i'm wishing the roof was 12-13' high. i'd have branches going across the run at 9' so they could perch nice and high.

+1 for some branch perches made up like sawhorses! I have a similar size run and it's difficult having big/permanent perches in the small space. I have a couple actual sawhorses and they are very easy to move around or move out of the way if needed. I added some old fence boards on the legs to create walls and barriers, so they double as a perch and sight break/hiding area. I love their portability and changing up the layout offers new entertainment for the chickens.

If the sawhorse idea doesn't appeal to you, then adding perches along the run walls with shelf brackets or other supports is the best solution. I really like being able to move or change things so I would try to make the perches removable from the support, maybe with a long bolt that goes through the branch and support, so you can easily lift them up if ever needed. And definitely consider space for jumping off the perches - higher perches should have more landing room so the wall across from the coop should have a shorter perch, while the back wall of the run can have some nice high perches.

Attachments

• 20221004_143655.jpg
    20221004_143655.jpg
    982.3 KB · Views: 14

Back
Top Bottom