Making some progress on our coop addition

Your roof looks great so far! I am so envious tho! You have nominal wood!
he.gif
It's so much easier to work with! Can't wait to see it finished!
pop.gif

Looking great!!! You could have gotten away with everything on 24" centers. I am doing the same thing with my coop. I got 2 12x16 sheds with metal roofs off of craigslist for free (Had to disassemble them). I put a 12x12 addition on my coop so my total dimesion is now 12x18. I had to put the addition on because I am getting 28 chicks and I have 11 eggs in the bator and 7 eggs under one of my broody hens.

Quote:
I am planning to use the paneling-type siding (still deciding which one) on most of it, and then maybe the cedar shingles just on the peaks at each end to help blend it with the other part.

Quote:
Our code enforcement guy was being ridiculous about it. You would think I was asking him to let his first born live there with the way he wanted it built! He allows the poorly built pre-fab sheds to be put up all over the place, but when you say you are doing it yourself, he wanted complete plans, 16 o.c. everything, etc.

Don't understand why the prefab sheds with 24 o.c. are fine with him, but build it yourself and the rules change. Maybe I should have bribed him with eggs???
idunno.gif

When we put up the repurposed pole barn, he wants the holes for the posts/poles 4 ft in the ground! And, instead of new 4x4 posts (to replace the ones that kept the building up just fine for 35 yrs), he insists on 4x6 or 6x6.

We made a little more progress on the addition since the last update.

The partical board/OSB is up on the walls, the roof got tar papered, put the trim boards and drip edge on, DH started the shingles yesterday, and things are gradually coming together.

I am thinking that the bottom of the walls will be T1-11 wood siding probably painted a nice green, and the top of each eave will be cedar shingles, but not sure yet. There is no way I can afford to do the whole thing in the cedar shingles, so I thought putting it on each eave would help blend the two sections together. Plus it takes FOREVER to put them on one at a time!

Last evening I was making the door, but it isn't installed yet. And we still may change the size of the front windows.

Progress was delayed slightly due to fracturing my ribs while working on it (hence the reason DH is now doing the roof), so Sun a.m. was spent in the ER- it actually happened Thu afternoon, but I didn't go right away. They did nothing anyway but told me to rest- like that will happen. Sorry, but the critters need housing asap.

14091_addition5.jpg

14091_addition6.jpg

14091_addition7.jpg

Back
Top Bottom