making the chicks stronger !!!!!!!!!!

jt813

Chirping
7 Years
Feb 9, 2012
so ive heard of people putting yogurt and egg yolk with their chicks for the first few days to get stronger is tht ok and what kind of yogurt and is their any other little snacks to put in their to help them pleas help thankyou

I dont know as if it makes them stronger but they sure do love their treats. I hard boil eggs, remove the shell and mash the egg white and yolk together with a fork. Yogurt can be messy. They also love insects, wax worms, crickets, meal worms, and worms are all okay. Buckwheat, whole wheat, and seeds are also good. Just remember to offer chick grit when offering treats.

Last year I gave mine plain kefir(probiotic like yogurt), they loved it. Just make sure you give the yogurt free choice, and not mixed with anything else, as too much calcium can be fatal to young chicks. I found that out the hard way last year, when my two E.E's got sick from eating it mixed into their scrambled eggs. It wasn't until one died that I finally figured out what was making them sick. I removed the kefir for a week, and the other E.E made a full recovery.

I've been picking greens out of the garden, pea shoots, beet tops and arugula. They go nuts over them. They found the grit right away so no problem there. Watch their poo though, if it starts getting runny or too soft you might be "treating" them to death. just a little once or twice a day with plenty of chick feed seems to be the ticket. I am amazed at how smart these little chick are at 2 weeks. They hear me walking in the kitchen and start peeping and move over to the side of the brooder I usually visit them on. A couple of the Buff's will actually hop up on my hand and expect me to take them out and give them some attention. Then I grab some meal worms (dried) and put about 12 of them in their grit dish.... They go insane. Running all around the brooder box... churping and dodging each other. Lot's of fun. Here are my two buddies... Ginger and Buffy...

I dont know as if it makes them stronger but they sure do love their treats. I hard boil eggs, remove the shell and mash the egg white and yolk together with a fork. Yogurt can be messy. They also love insects, wax worms, crickets, meal worms, and worms are all okay. Buckwheat, whole wheat, and seeds are also good. Just remember to offer chick grit when offering treats.

YES IT CAN! When I first started feeding yogurt to my babies, they bathed in it. :\ I found out that day that they don't like baths. Like, real baths, not yogurt baths. ;)

But they got the hang of it. They love to eat it now. :)
That and mosquito hawks, when they can catch one.

Back
Top Bottom