Making the coop/run area pretty - show me what you’ve done

Lots of folks here get big chunky wood chips for their runs. I bet it helps smell too. Great idea
I love the large chunk bark but I can't get it here anymore, they stopped selling it. Where do you get yours? I considered contacting tree chippers, but they mix it all together & the last thing I need is anything dangerous or harboring termites.

I put cinder blocks on end and in spring and fall I grow wheat fodder in them. They pick through fence ( boredom buster) and it keeps dirt in RUN! They can throw more dirt that I ever imagined. View attachment 3621311
Going to use cinderblocks, paint with non toxic paint. It is amazing how far they can throw dirt & bark chunks!

Inside my runs needs some attention, digging & scratching sure does "relocate" stuff. But outside of the pens I used a stone border. The pens have 2 foot deep perimeter to deter any fox that thinks of digging in, but I figured, I already had the rock pile, just add the rock border, too. The foxes never even attempted to dig a single hole, over the years. Any time my aching back is spared filling a hole, I'm happy. Rocks kinda attracts bugs, too, so right now my flock enjoys many crickets that hang out near the rocks, then decide to jump up on the wire cloth & crawl through...yup, many happy chicken beaks love crunchy cricket visits. 😆
20200829_194602.jpg
1601489114486_image.png
20210710_200607.jpg

Inside my runs needs some attention, digging & scratching sure does "relocate" stuff. But outside of the pens I used a stone border. The pens have 2 foot deep perimeter to deter any fox that thinks of digging in, but I figured, I already had the rock pile, just add the rock border, too. The foxes never even attempted to dig a single hole, over the years. Any time my aching back is spared filling a hole, I'm happy. Rocks kinda attracts bugs, too, so right now my flock enjoys many crickets that hang out near the rocks, then decide to jump up on the wire cloth & crawl through...yup, many happy chicken beaks love crunchy cricket visits. 😆
View attachment 3624265
View attachment 3624266
View attachment 3624267
That looks great!

How do you keep weeds from growing up in the rocks in that last picture? For me, weed fabric only lasts for about 1 season at the most.

That looks great!

How do you keep weeds from growing up in the rocks in that last picture? For me, weed fabric only lasts for about 1 season at the most.
I did use the weed fabric but I double & triple layered it, staggering seams. I still get that horrid ball grass, oh I mean Nutsedge & I still get Bermuda grass, & Johnson grass, but at least they're easy to pull out from the rocks. Seeds are always blowing around, so there will always be weeds. The roots and how they dig in, and what they dig into, are what makes weeding easy or hard. My entire 2 acres is nutsedge & Bermuda grass, ugh, I truly wish the white clover would take it all over.

I moved here just 80 miles south of old home, so I was surprised at how much different the weeds were. I was frustrated with Bermuda grass further north. Well, the weeds here must be on steroids! Plus the types of weeds...holy cow, yes, I have done some swearing, especially when getting attacked by the fire ants (they tunnel, no mounds, so ya never know where they are) my gardening disturbed.

Anyway...I learned by trying a few different things. And that may be what you need to try, because I found that area does matter. Rocks up north were a real PITA. Here, not so bad.

Before, Ajuga was an excellent lush ground cover, here it totally disappears, it can't compete with weeds & extreme heat in summer. The only thing thriving that chokes out weeds here, are Hostas. Lamb's Ear, Crepe Myrtle & Butterfly bushes do well here, too, but do need trimming. The only thing lookin good in the dead of winter are evergreens, like Holly, fir & pine. So I've not yet tried the low growing evergreens. I'd love to plant some tough shrubs in the chicken run, but I have not tried that yet either.

So, I planted a bunch of different spots, and did a bunch of different plants & borders in those spots, just to see what worked & what didn't, in this area.

You may want to do some trial & error spots as well. Then just omit what didn't work well & go with what does work. Still. Let me add, & I wish every marketing ploy would be as honest....THERE'S NO SUCH THING AS TOTALLY MAINTENANCE FREE!

Did rocks around my fire pit, too. My resident foxes wonder why the crazy human spends time there...Nothing good to eat in this pit 😆
20230823_174638.jpg 20221123_082331.jpg

Last edited:
I did use the weed fabric but I double layered it & staggered seams. I still get that horrid ball grass, oh I.mean Nutsedge, & I still get Bermuda grass but at least they're easy to pull out.

I moved here just 80 miles away from old home, so I was surprised at how much different the weeds are. I was frustrated with Bermuda grass further north. Well, the weeds here must be on steroids! Plus the types if weeds...holy cow, yes I have done some swearing, especially when getting attacked by fire ants my gardening disturbed. Anyway...I learned by trying a few different things. And that may be what you need to try, because I found that area does matter. Rocks up north were a real PITA. Here, not so bad. Before, Ajuga was an excellent lush ground cover, here it disappears, the only thing thriving that chokes out weeds here, are Hostas. So, I planted a bunch of different spots, and did a bunch of different borders in spots, just to see what worked & what didn't, in this area. You may want to do some trial & error spots as well. Then just omit what didn't work well & go with what does work. Still. Let me add, & I wish every marketing ploy would be as honest....THERE'S NO SUCH THINK AS MAINTENANCE FREE!
I'm tempted to try pouring a few inches of concrete and placing a single layer of river rock in it as it sets. I'd expect some cracks ... but at least the weeds would be limited to those.

I'm tempted to try pouring a few inches of concrete and placing a single layer of river rock in it as it sets. I'd expect some cracks ... but at least the weeds would be limited to those.
I'd love to do that but I'd need way too much...my gravel driveway & parking area is completely grown over. I need to get a drag box I guess.

This is what I have in mind but without the pavers in it ... mostly as a border/edging around the house.

View attachment 3624299
found here with google image search.
https://www.ecolandscaping.org/02/d...-design/nature-play-at-home-arranging-spaces/
I love that!

You gave me inspiration...I can take up the little rocks at the firepit, and do concrete with river rock as I have a pile sitting there. Then take the small rocks & put around the chicken coop #3.

Yup, I did all of it with 2 coops & firepit, but it isn't just me doing this stuff going forward, I have help now!
Oh honey...I just got another new idea..😆 🤣 😂 He will be so excited.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom