1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Making the most of it.

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by lindalouly, Aug 4, 2015.

1. FridayYet

FridayYet Innocent Bystander

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    What kind of thermostat are you using? I know that getting a good one will keep your temperatures from swinging up and down too much.

2. lindalouly

lindalouly Grd Ctrl 2 Major Tom Premium Member

I misplaced the paper. Ayiyi!!! To many kids here. It's an accu something. It's stabilized at 106 for the last few hours.. I'm thinking I need ventilation.

3. lindalouly

My next step is to move it in my room which is the coldest room in the house... I just thought they had to be in a more stable area.

4. lindalouly

Thank god I chose not to put my eggs in for a couple of days until I got the hang of reading temperatures.

5. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    Are you using lightbulbs for heat? Maybe you need one of them a smaller wattage???

Of course, I'm just going by what I have read, I have never made my own incubator - I took the easy way out and bought one! (LOL)

6. lindalouly

I am using a 25 watt light bulb... I think a 15 would have been better

7. lindalouly

So I just movedd the incabator to my room... I noticed the old lamp parts I had my kids disassemble so I could use is getting pretty hot by touch... I think I might have to spend the money on a new insulated bulb fixture/plug. That's okay... Only spent 8 bucks on this and used items in the house. Glad I wasn't in a hurry. I am determined to perfect this safely for my family and my eggs!!! Lol hopefully I will have an update tomorrow

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  8. lindalouly

@FridayYet are you sure you don't want to buy a house on acreage in Washington near me so we can conquer the chicken world!!! [​IMG]

9. FridayYet

Mar 3, 2011
    The Land of Enchantment
    LOL - sounds like fun, but I'm addicted to green chiles, sunshine, and my kids are in Denver. You ought to come down here!

10. lindalouly

The incabator has stabilized at 102 degrees and is a 20 percent humidity. Just added a sponge inside to try and slightly raise the humidity... The temperature seems to be effected by outside temps. This may require more time figuring out before I sacrifice my eggs. Lol but so far has been an extremely educational project.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by