Malay Chat Thread

Ah yes in the news article. Well, it will be interesting to see the results. So many breeds of Asil too, and so little info I can find on a few of them.

That should be interesting for sure. I would consider crossing with my BJG which according to Meyer were developed with "Black Javas, Black Langshans and Dark Brahmas".

Wonder if I would end up with something like a Bruges or Liege body wise which supposedly have Malay in their foundations.
Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot.

One thing I've wondered about not hearing much on their free ranging ability. Seeing as they are tall, upright, and long necked, it would seem to me they may make good flock look outs.
I got mine from a breeder who free ranges his.

I've read they're hawk Fighters, part of the reason I got some, besides their low population.

Yep I've got a pair that stops by, and one them landed not too far behind my neighbor's big white Goose when she wasn't looking, but he scared it off.

Basically I'm looking for that backyard dinosaur that isn't high maintenance and thrives without a lot of supervision.
A breed most of us want.

A reason you’re probably not finding much about their history is that you’re dealing with an ancient family of birds whose original origins probably date back to the B.C. era.

I think its helpful to think of all of the oriental gamefowl as being variants of the same overall kind of bird. An aseel is a Malay is a Ganoi and so-on.

I’ll use an analogy with dogs; an English bulldog is an American bulldog is a bull mastiff is is a pit-bull terrier. Now of course those all are technically separate breeds. But they all come from the same overall bulldog source genetics and many of them have been outcrossed to other non-bulldog breeds and then crossed back to each other. Often the existent more healthy and athletic varieties have been recently outcrossed to make a dog that’s more like what the original bulldogs were 200 years ago.

There was probably a time (a very long time ago) when the various oriental gamefowl breeds were of more singular strains than what they became later. Trade in Asia was not necessarily as isolated in the ancient world as it became in modern times. There have been many empires in Asia that transcended modern political and ethnic boundaries. What a Malay was by 1900 AD may not have been what a Malay was in 1600 AD.

I would suggest thinking more about what you want your birds to be instead of what an artificial set of standards thinks they ought to be, then mine the genetics of similarly built and natured oriental gamefowl to freshen up what you have, then cull towards the traits you want.

Back
Top Bottom