0ddaudd

Chirping
Jan 10, 2020
Hey ! So around March of last year I got a Pekin duckling and two Rhode Island Red chicks. At the time, being a new poultry owner, I didnt think too much about the sex of the duck. I raised them all together and they lived quite peacefully together. But these last few weeks Eli (the male pekin) has begun to try and mate with my chickens ! I created a perch so the girls could be off the ground from him, but he still immediately charges after them the second they get on the ground. They’re both still laying and eating and drinking. And it started out as him ONLY trying to mate with one of my hens (Violet), but he has since began to try mating with the both of them ! Giving him away doesn’t seem like a viable option because I dont want him to end up being food for someone. Should I just obtain 1 more female duck or does it HAVE to be 2-3 female ducks ? Im planning on getting more chickens anyhow, but i’d prefer to have more chickens over ducks. Thanks so much for the help.

This behavior is completely normal for lone ducks with chickens. If your going to keep him you must get him another duck "preferably a female". He will not stop trying to mate your chickens. And quite possibly will injure or even kill them.

Back
Top Bottom