Male or Female? Ancona Duck

isis

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 5, 2010

This "guy" is offered for sale locally... I'd love to add "him" to my flock but my question is boy or girl? They say it's an Ancona duck and 2-3 months old. Thanks in advance!

Hey you must live near me! That is a local add for me as well. By the looks of it, it might be a female. You might cal or email them and ask them if he/she quacks or makes the raspy sound. If I remember right my ducklings had their voices by 3 months. I thought about getting him but decided I didnt want to add another male. Good luck though! He/she is a beautiful duck. I also dont see a curly feather but I am pretty sure they dont show up till after their first molt.

Too soon to know by looking at the duck, but you should be able to tell by the voice. If you pick the duckling up and it QUACKS! its a girl. If it makes the deeper, quieter, raspy sound, it's a boy. Should be easy to tell. You can ask the owner if they can tell by the voice too, perhaps they know? Certainly it's cute and has a sweet face.

Hey Lovin! And Granny Carol!

I saw this ad too. I might know who has it. Let me PM her and see if it's who I think it might be.
Where are you located? Obviously somewhere in KC.

It's her. She PM'd me back but BYC is glitching for her and she can't post anything for some reason. Here is her response to me I'm pasting here. I also have one of her drakes and love him. :)

Chicken Crazy12

Today at 7:01 am
Yep it's me. for some reason I can not post a response on the thread. This new BYC is really starting to have it's glitches. This was my response to everyone on there, but couldn't get it to post for me.
rant.gif

Hi, Yall
The duck is mine, QJ just sent me a PM. I have it on craigslist. If you read the ad it says that I think it's a little boy, but that I'm not 100%. The one that I think is a girl from that same hatch isn't really giving me a good honk and I'm just on the fence with them at this point. Sometimes you can tell by voice as early as 3 weeks, but others just seem to take longer to get their voice. This little guy is probably a male, but I just don't want to tell someone 100% that it's a drake and them buy it expecting it to breed all of their females when it grows up if i'm not 100% sure. I can tell you what I think, which is that it will probably be a male, but the voices are just not clear enough for me to tell for sure. I just looked up my pictures from when that group hatched and he will be 2 months old on the 8th. Sorry I couldn't give you a clear answer.

There ya go!

Wow what a small world! I live close to the Legends. So a little bit a ways from you guys but I've driven a ways for "cute" things I've found online... lol.

I guess I'll throw it out there since all the locals are here... I'm looking to buy a young (laying) female duck or two for my male. He had two females but I lost one a few weeks ago. :-( My boy, Frank, has been with me for 8 years! He actually lived in my college dorm room.
wink.png

Anywho, needless to say with his age who knows how much longer I'll have him, so I'm incubating his eggs this year... only about a 50% fertility rate... imagine that at his age...! But his first hatch of 2 is due next week, fingers crossed!

Back
Top Bottom