MyLifeInAnEggshell

Chirping
12 Years
Sep 19, 2011
Buckeye, AZ
So my ducklings have been keeping me guessing. What I thought was a black swedish now I think might be a muscovy but then maybe not lol. Today we noticed green feathers on its head. Its 4 weeks old.
We also have 2 pekins and what I thought was a silver appleyard but now believe its a campbell. I'm praying we only have 1 male in the bunch. One of the pekins has started quaking and by the sound I believe is female. Any advice on the any of them would be amazing!
20200825_192925.jpg
20200826_184335.jpg
20200825_192339.jpg
20200825_192402.jpg
20200826_183023.jpg
20200826_183018.jpg
d

Attachments

• 20200826_184341.jpg
    20200826_184341.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200825_192925.jpg
    20200825_192925.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 5
Looks too young to sex personally. My Appleyard felt a little like a late bloomer but he acted and sounded like a hen/duck until he was 6-7 months old! Now he's got some girlfriends at a friend's farm <3 breed wise, where did you get them? If it wasn't special ordered, from a specialized breeder, or from a feedstore there's always a chance for mix breed! :D your black/white pied/mottled duck reminds me of a Swedish or a Ancona, once they're fully feathered it may be easier to identify them : )

I think you might have two Golden 300 hybrid ducks. I am guessing you bought them at a feed store and thought the one was an Appleyard because it sported a Mohawk pattern?! If so, please post a picture of when they were little. I suspect they are both drakes but a baby picture and where you got them would help.

I think you might have two Golden 300 hybrid ducks. I am guessing you bought them at a feed store and thought the one was an Appleyard because it sported a Mohawk pattern?! If so, please post a picture of when they were little. I suspect they are both drakes but a baby picture and where you got them would help.
Yes I got them from tractor supply. Yes the brown one had a Mohawk when it was a baby.

Attachments

• 20200801_185003.jpg
    20200801_185003.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 6
Looks too young to sex personally. My Appleyard felt a little like a late bloomer but he acted and sounded like a hen/duck until he was 6-7 months old! Now he's got some girlfriends at a friend's farm <3 breed wise, where did you get them? If it wasn't special ordered, from a specialized breeder, or from a feedstore there's always a chance for mix breed! :D your black/white pied/mottled duck reminds me of a Swedish or a Ancona, once they're fully feathered it may be easier to identify them : )
Got them at a feed store. I figured it was to early for sex but now the breeds have me stumped lol.

Yes I got them from tractor supply. Yes the brown one had a Mohawk when it was a baby.
They could very well be golden 300s which seem to be a Khaki hybrid. If so, I believe the black Swedish looking one is a drake and the Khaki looking one is a hen. Golden 300s are sex-linked so brownish ducklings are girls, blackish are boys.
C6A8836D-800E-4665-8B43-FFBE7E06B405.jpeg

They could very well be golden 300s which seem to be a Khaki hybrid. If so, I believe the black Swedish looking one is a drake and the Khaki looking one is a hen. Golden 300s are sex-linked so brownish ducklings are girls, blackish are boys.
View attachment 2310529
I think your exactly right! Thank you so much. Out of 4 ducks if I end up with 2 drakes I will need to get rid of one right?

I think your exactly right! Thank you so much. Out of 4 ducks if I end up with 2 drakes I will need to get rid of one right?

I personally would! I'm not 100% sure if 2 duck 1 Drake would work, I think the boys are pretty 'active' so you may need more ducks. I'm also not certain if an all Drake flock works like rooster flocks in chickens, you could look into both options though! :D 2 ducks and 1 Drake could totally work, I do however believe 2 drakes and 2 ducks would be too much. Good luck!! :D

I had two drakes and three hens and it did not go well. I currently have one drake and five hens and my drake still spends a lot of time in drake jail because he is an idiot who bloodies two girls necks. You might be fine with one drake and two hens, it will depend on him. If having been raised with the two hens and he is gentle and protective, you will be fine. If he picks on one, you will not be. It’s more of a wait and see what their temperaments are. If you do plan to get rid of one drake, the sooner the better.

Back
Top Bottom