Male or Female button quail?

Lindylu241

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 6, 2014

Hey just bought two button quail today and qas just wondering if anyone knows if this is a male or female? Sorry for the bad pictures. Thanks for your help :)
here are some more clear pictures to maybe help clarify its gender

the picture below is of the male and the unknown gender

Last edited:
Looks like a female but button colors are crossed so much there is always a possibility that I'm wrong. usually silver birds have a white bib under their chin when they are roosters.

Have you checked the vent area for reddish feathers? I know this is a silver but some males still show reddish feathers in the vent area. Also the best way is to watch them and see is the other is trying to mate with this one. if not it is probably a male. Was it sold to you as a female? if so ask if they can exchange it for a true female. good luck.

Have you checked the vent area for reddish feathers? I know this is a silver but some males still show reddish feathers in the vent area. Also the best way is to watch them and see is the other is trying to mate with this one. if not it is probably a male. Was it sold to you as a female? if so ask if they can exchange it for a true female. good luck.

I've checked the vent feathers and there is no red feathers present. I haven't seen the male try to mate but I dont think he is mature yet.

Unless you can vent sex this bird all you can do is wait and watch to see if the male tries to mate or if this one crows. They will both call but the crow is different. There are a few videos on youtube that have different noises that they can make. One other thing is if you place a dish with 2-3 mealworms, live, the male should offer them to the female if it is a female. Sorry cant be of much more help, that's the trouble with the silvers and whites hard to sex them. Good luck and let us know what you figure out.

Back
Top Bottom