Male or female light brahma?

MorganB

In the Brooder
5 Years
Jun 2, 2014
Texas

I have two light brahmas, both are supposed to be about 15 weeks old. I think the one pictured above is a rooster, but I'm not positive. I haven't heard any crowing as of yet. I also have a silkie rooster, age unknown, that is crowing.

This is the other. It's smaller and has a lighter comb. I'm pretty sure this one is a hen. This is my first time owning chickens.

The first one is definitely a rooster, and I think the second one is, too. But you may not know for sure until it crows or lays.

Here are some better pictures of the first one. My initial fears of it being a rooster stemmed from the fact that they're both supposed to be the same age, but they look very different. I'd be disappointed if it is a rooster, but I don't plan on giving it away cause it's a super sweet little chicken.

How can you tell? Is it the waddle, or is the comb much darker? I have 3 Light Brahmas and can't decide male or female. One definitely has darker color comb and larger waddles, but no one is crowing yet. They are about 3 1/2 months old....

Back
Top Bottom