Male or female silkie?

Cockerel
You can clearly see the streamers in the picture below

Attachments

• 91CF21CF-4A91-4445-9766-B9174942A057.jpeg
    91CF21CF-4A91-4445-9766-B9174942A057.jpeg
    331 KB · Views: 14
If they’d rent streamers then what are they?

Young silkies that age molt and the chick feathers sometimes stay attached to the ends of the new feathers which make them look longer. She is simply a youngster growing her complete adult feathers in. Below is a Silkie rooster and you can clearly see his streamers. He is the same age.
IMG_7272.JPG

I hatch and raise Silkies... that's a PULLET in my experience. :D

I agree those aren't streamers. I have actually checked to see and they are the follicles that haven't flaked or fallen off yet. Using my fingernail I can pinch and remove them and it's a completely normal feather under there. I have yet to discover why this happens to some birds and not others. Streamers are such a misnomer anyways and very subjective. The boys do get some longer head feather at the back, and even the longer saddle feathers that hang much farther after they mature.

Most my Silkies can be ACCURATELY sexed by 12 weeks, usually 8, some as early as a few days. They aren't as hard as many people like to claim. And anyone debating the gender of a 7 month old Silkie as far as I'm concerned probably isn't familiar with the breed. Of course it's easier when you have opposite genders side by side to compare. The only late bloomers I ever have are always female. :)

@FishMtFarm Nice skin color there. You say 7 month old on that one? Not nearly the waddles I'm used to seeing on my boys. Can we see his comb? :cool:

Wow thabksss everyone really helpful info really hope she/he is a pullet I guess I’ll wait for the first egg at what age will they lay?

I agree those aren't streamers. I have actually checked to see and they are the follicles that haven't flaked or fallen off yet. Using my fingernail I can pinch and remove them and it's a completely normal feather under there. I have yet to discover why this happens to some birds and not others. Streamers are such a misnomer anyways and very subjective. The boys do get some longer head feather at the back, and even the longer saddle feathers that hang much farther after they mature.

Most my Silkies can be ACCURATELY sexed by 12 weeks, usually 8, some as early as a few days. They aren't as hard as many people like to claim. And anyone debating the gender of a 7 month old Silkie as far as I'm concerned probably isn't familiar with the breed. Of course it's easier when you have opposite genders side by side to compare. The only late bloomers I ever have are always female. :)

@FishMtFarm Nice skin color there. You say 7 month old on that one? Not nearly the waddles I'm used to seeing on my boys. Can we see his comb? :cool:
Thanks! Yea I’m hoping he/she is a pullet as I have a roo already and don’t want them to fight!

Yep he is 6.5 months old. I'll get a pic for ya tomorrow. I have worked hard to keep the combs and waddles small. He will get them but they usually start to show up around a year old on some of mine. Unfortunately for him, he has weak wings so not a keeper.

Back
Top Bottom