Male or female silkie?

Thanks! Yea I’m hoping he/she is a pullet as I have a roo already and don’t want them to fight!
I keep a stag pen with all my roosters inside. Currently 3 Silkie boys and a black copper Marans. Many breeds have been through there and I will be adding Speckled Sussex and bantam Ameraucana to the mix this year. There are scuffles sometimes, but nothing too bad. The real issue is making sure your gals aren't getting too much lovin' and bald spots. Roosters can get along. :)

Just came to update turns out it’s a boy... just heard his first crow... i suspected this as he is starting to grow aggressive behaviours like attacking my leg and other ducks and chickens... is there any way to stop this?

Just came to update turns out it’s a boy... just heard his first crow... i suspected this as he is starting to grow aggressive behaviours like attacking my leg and other ducks and chickens... is there any way to stop this?
It's not the first time I've been wrong! :oops:

I looked back and thought wow I can't believe I said that was female. But then I realized it was 7 months old... and I probably would have still said the same thing.

This has been a nice learning experience for me though! :thumbsup I didn't realize their could be such a HUGE difference in waddle and combs between different lines, like posted by @FishMtFarm. Guess I will have to take back thinking that people who are still debating gender at that age are simply unfamiliar. :oops:

I still stand on my perception that those were not streamers... and to ME streamers are a lot more like business in the front, party in the back... Like a mullet. :p Where as the girls can initially get "streamers" or pin feathers coming out of the tops and backs of their head.. they stay short like a bob all the way around the head instead of the Joe Dirt or (old school) Billy Ray Cyrus look. And they turn into full on pointy feathers once the shaft follicle is gone. It's unfortunate my chrome book is over loaded and I can't do more pics until I increase memory.. cuz one of my Silkie boys is sporting a perfect example.

I stop biting by one of 3 ways... pecking back, pulling neck feathers the way a flock member would, or freezer camp. 7 months old is just hitting hormonal for that boy... and a little old for ME to waste time training. My biters usually start much younger, at which point I will calmly pick them up and handle them plenty until they calm down each time and set them down and let them walk away while still calm. Biting hurts! :hmm Good luck. :fl

It's not the first time I've been wrong! :oops:

I looked back and thought wow I can't believe I said that was female. But then I realized it was 7 months old... and I probably would have still said the same thing.

This has been a nice learning experience for me though! :thumbsup I didn't realize their could be such a HUGE difference in waddle and combs between different lines, like posted by @FishMtFarm. Guess I will have to take back thinking that people who are still debating gender at that age are simply unfamiliar. :oops:

I still stand on my perception that those were not streamers... and to ME streamers are a lot more like business in the front, party in the back... Like a mullet. :p Where as the girls can initially get "streamers" or pin feathers coming out of the tops and backs of their head.. they stay short like a bob all the way around the head instead of the Joe Dirt or (old school) Billy Ray Cyrus look. And they turn into full on pointy feathers once the shaft follicle is gone. It's unfortunate my chrome book is over loaded and I can't do more pics until I increase memory.. cuz one of my Silkie boys is sporting a perfect example.

I stop biting by one of 3 ways... pecking back, pulling neck feathers the way a flock member would, or freezer camp. 7 months old is just hitting hormonal for that boy... and a little old for ME to waste time training. My biters usually start much younger, at which point I will calmly pick them up and handle them plenty until they calm down each time and set them down and let them walk away while still calm. Biting hurts! :hmm Good luck. :fl
Thanks I initially thought girl too... he has a very feminine crest and is very fluffy with hardly and solid feathers...his comb is almost flat only a tiny bump and I can’t even see his wattles I was starting to suspect he’s a he when I noticed he makes similar noises to my barred rock roo and definitely confirmed when he let out his first crow (funny sounding I must say) but thanks I will try to take dominance and hopefully he starts to behave as he was a sweet fluffy silkie... I would hate to give him away as he’s my only silkie

I have a Silkie cockerel that has no streamers, and he doesn't crow so had me fooled for a long time. He did get some green feathers in the tail so had him DNAed and won't ya know, a beautiful feminine boy. He's a keeper. Named him Kitty.

Back
Top Bottom