Male or female?

Zazzy

Chirping
Aug 8, 2020
Hello fellow chicken lovers. Can I get some thoughts on the gender of these Brahmas? They are supposed to be female but they certainly don't act like it. I've never had this breed before. I got them as chick's from a breeder who assured me they were ladies. But I have seen at least one of them crow! And I have also seen mating behavior. I don't know what to think.

Attachments

• 20221220_111736.jpg
    20221220_111736.jpg
    372.2 KB · Views: 19
Hello fellow chicken lovers. Can I get some thoughts on the gender of these Brahmas? They are supposed to be female but they certainly don't act like it. I've never had this breed before. I got them as chick's from a breeder who assured me they were ladies.
Breeders can't assure that unless they're sex linked or auto sexing, and to claim so is ultimately shady.

I agree with others those are cockerels..

Starting around 12 weeks is when gender specific saddle feathers come in on non hen feathered breeds. Closer to 16 weeks for the flowing ones. See pics from google for example..
458df523f1cc08737cb8458840040f5f.jpg

main-qimg-49e67ecc741084cb4fa424a027c3c2aa-lq

Well....looks like I got boys. So now I have 5 roosters! I think the Brahmas will have to go. Breaks my heart.

Thanks everyone.

Yes it looks like both are male. They very beautiful! I have one that is a female and she is more on the aggressor side then my others but she does not have that big of a comb and waddles at all

Back
Top Bottom