Male Pekin and Female Muscovy Mating

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
We just recently adopted a 10mo old male Pekin and he ‘violated’ our sweet little 6mo female Muscovy as far as we know for the first time yesterday, twice, in a kiddie pool, within a 15 minute span. We knew of course this would probably happen and when it did romance wouldn’t be involved, and it is Spring and he’s young and full of hormones. These are our pets and our only two. My concern is that after the second ‘incident’ she seemed stunned and just kind of floating, unblinking, and even allowed me to pick her up and hold her for a couple of minutes which is very unlike her. She snapped out of it, seems fine and still not at all afraid of him. In fact, this morning was waiting for him outside his kennel, squawking for him to be let out. My question is is it normal for her to be stunned/dazed after mating or is this something we should be concerned about and keep them separated until spring passes (I’m in Florida so am hoping it WILL pass)?

Last edited:
I think I commented on your other post - but you need more adult females to have a safe ratio so she's not over-mated.
Yes, thank you. I’d thought of posting both concerns in one thinking they may be related but wasn’t sure that they were. At this time we’d rather not add another duck to the mix so separating them at certain times may be what we’ll need to do.

1. Pekin are derived from mallard ducks, muscovy are an entirely different subspecies. This means that they speak different languages, and cannot properly communicate with eachother. I would recommend adding 1 more muscovy hen, and 1 mallard derived hen of a large breed so both of your ducks can have a same species buddy. Muscovy hens are much smaller than Pekins, so your 1:1 male to female ratio will most likely not work out well for you. Honestly if you don't think you can add more ducks you need to rehome the pekin drake and replace him with another female muscovy. Keeping 2 ducks that can't talk to eachother isn't very nice, they are extremely social creatures and they really need somebody to talk to.

1. Pekin are derived from mallard ducks, muscovy are an entirely different subspecies. This means that they speak different languages, and cannot properly communicate with eachother. I would recommend adding 1 more muscovy hen, and 1 mallard derived hen of a large breed so both of your ducks can have a same species buddy. Muscovy hens are much smaller than Pekins, so your 1:1 male to female ratio will most likely not work out well for you. Honestly if you don't think you can add more ducks you need to rehome the pekin drake and replace him with another female muscovy. Keeping 2 ducks that can't talk to eachother isn't very nice, they are extremely social creatures and they really need somebody to talk to.
They actually seem to very much enjoy each other. Our girl had been a bit shy and stand-offish but she’s much more curious and social now and they like spending time together.

They actually seem to very much enjoy each other. Our girl had been a bit shy and stand-offish but she’s much more curious and social now and they like spending time together.
Yes they spend time together because ducks are very social creatures, but it's like having 1 duck and 1 goose or 1 duck and 1 chicken, they can provide eachother a little bit of company but it is not the same, it is essential that they have company of their own kind for a happy life. If you feel like you must keep them both then you really just need more hens. Keeping them in a situation where they have to be separated, and can't even talk to each other because they don't speak the same language will not be very good for the health and happiness of your ducks. It might work ok in a very short term situation, but do not make that your long term plan, a Pekin male is probably the worst possible duck companion option for a muscovy female.

Last edited:
I'd like to add my thoughts, though @CoriM and @SolarDuck made excellent points.

Overmating is a real threat female ducks. I adopted 3 overmated female ducks 6 years ago. Even though they haven't seen a drake since one still suffers from her injuries and needs surgery yearly. She's a pekin who was mated by a mallard.

We regularly have members whose ducks are injured and sometimes even killed by their drakes. The drakes, of course, do it by accident in their hormonal enthusiasm. Their owners are shocked that their ducks could be injured. Sometimes these injuries can heal, like bloody necks, and other times broken legs or severe feather follicle damage (in my duck's case) presents long term complications.

I thought you might appreciate more information about what you might be dealing with to help you make the best decision for you and your flock.

I'd like to add my thoughts, though @CoriM and @SolarDuck made excellent points.

Overmating is a real threat female ducks. I adopted 3 overmated female ducks 6 years ago. Even though they haven't seen a drake since one still suffers from her injuries and needs surgery yearly. She's a pekin who was mated by a mallard.

We regularly have members whose ducks are injured and sometimes even killed by their drakes. The drakes, of course, do it by accident in their hormonal enthusiasm. Their owners are shocked that their ducks could be injured. Sometimes these injuries can heal, like bloody necks, and other times broken legs or severe feather follicle damage (in my duck's case) presents long term complications.

I thought you might appreciate more information about what you might be dealing with to help you make the best decision for you and your flock.
Thank you. I’m definitely keeping an eye on the situation and will ultimately do what’s in their best interest.

Back
Top Bottom